Sunday, August 20, 2006

Highlights from PA -Part III - Nostalgic Moments


Upstairs: Attended First Grade in this Building


Lau's Store - East Berlin (Now The Iron Skillet Restaurant)

Highlights: Nostalgic Moments

-- Seeing Dad farming, as I looked over the farm.
-- Seeing my Mother in the farm house kitchen.
-- Remembering when the barn was not in bad shape and gone.
-- Seeing my Mother pour milk from milking into the milk cans, when I look
at the “milk house”.
-- Seeing Daddy with the egg baskets by the chicken houses.
-- The side of the barn hill, I can never forget my mother crying when a hired hand had accidentally run over 8 baskets of eggs with the tractor. It’s one of the few times that I saw her cry.
-- Could that “big rock” in the yard really be that small?
-- Unbelievable that a young tree by the house, when I was young, could now be a mature tree!
-- Visit to my home church and cemetery – remembrances of my parents, brother and all the loved ones in the cemetery that nurtured me as I grew up.
-- Hearing my Mother’s voice in my head, telling me I didn’t need that Lemon Meringue Pie that I was looking at in the grocery store bakery.
-- Noticing that the town of East Berlin looks better and more kept up now, than when I was growing up! (Guess I grew up when the economy was severely depressed, and I didn’t even know it!).
-- Seeing the local stores in East Berlin that are still there. Remembering the ones that are gone. The old bank is now a “Curves”.
-- The old High School and Elementary School in East Berlin, they are now being utilized as a Community Center and Senior Citizen’s Center. The Buildings look as they did 40 years ago.
-- Buying fresh fruit from farm side stand, and the young Mennonite girl as the sales clerk.
-- Local farms that all look in better shape than they did 40 years ago!
-- Seeing a million dollar expansion being done to my high school! The school was brand new when we moved in during our 8th grade year!!
-- Peach Cobbler made with the fresh peaches
-- Fresh farm grown sweet corn (on the cob)
-- All the German/PA Dutch Foods I ate there, that I don’t have in Minnesota
-- Walking on the farm
-- Seeing the “Williams Grove Amusement Park” Sign
-- Driving by both sets of Grandparents home’s (more than once) and remembering them as they were 40 years ago. Disappointed that they don't look the same
-- Driving on Highways 74, 194, 94, 234. Highway numbers I didn’t even know when I was growing up!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These have been fun to read Linda.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>