Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Beating the Heat

In case you hadn’t heard, our temperature rose again on Sunday and yesterday, and another record was broken, July 31, 2006, the hottest July in Duluth history! We thought about going to the air conditioned movie theater, however, wouldn’t you know, there wasn’t a movie playing the either of us wanted to see!

I’m thankful there is air condition in our office, however, a lot of the days, I still use a fan right by my desk, because I’m too warm. Yesterday one of my co/workers told me they went to Applebees the night before and that the air-condition was so high that it was really cold. Ahhh… I called my husband, suggested that we meet there after work. Applebees is one of our favorite restaurants, and if it’s nice and cool there, what better way to spend a hot evening! The food was good, as always, the drinks were refreshingly cold and yes, their air conditioner was working very well! I really didn’t want to leave. So, right next door is Barnes and Noble, another air conditioned haven. I like to go there and browse, and I had a 15 % coupon burning a hole in my purse, that would expire soon. It’s a good thing I don’t go there often, I always buy at least one book, often more than one. I noticed a $1.00 a book table there, and couldn’t resist looking. I shouldn’t have looked. I bought 4 books for $1.00 each, books that looked really interesting…who knows when I’ll get them read, but gee, they were big priced books .. for a buck, what a bargain! One was all about Martin Luther King and the impact he had on the 60’s and on equal rights, it includes a lot of neat pictures from my generation. Another is about “Unsolved Mysteries of American History”…that one I read quite of a bit last night already (very interesting and a fast read.) Now, if I had only spent $4.00 that wouldn’t have been bad. But, of course, I had to look through the audio books on CD. I wanted to get one to listen to on my trip to and from Minneapolis on the 9th. I know, I know, I really should go to the library and get one for free, but I never seem to find the time to go to the library! I bought the one called “The Mayflower”, about the Mayflower voyage and the pilgrims first year or so in the “new world”.

About 7:30 last night we had a big thunderstorm. It included a nice rainfall, and the temperature went down. Today it was cloudy and not as hot, but the humidity very high, so it was pretty miserable again. Duluthians just aren’t used to this heat. We can take it for a day or two, but not in long stretches. When I go to Pennsylvania, a week from now, It’s hot there like it’s been here, however they are equipped for it…air conditioned homes, air condition every where you go! I’ll be there in the heat, but I won’t be as uncomfortable.
Maybe it will be cold here the week I'm in PA and I will be happy that I will have a little more summer, as long as I'm in air condition and can sleep at night!

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I just read your story about your Dad.

I couldn't help but say hello and tell you how beautiful it was. You always had a way with words. I remember walking back that snowy lane one night.

I was really interested to read about your work with the Cancer Society. Both of my parents died from it.

Paul

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>