Sunday, July 08, 2007

Heat, Humidity - Must be July in Duluth



O.K. I have to admit, I got nothing of value done this weekend, except for scrubbing the bathroom at 7 am yesterday morning before it got too hot. Yesterday and today were just too darn hot, especially today. Yesterday was manageable because the humidity wasn’t bad. However, today the humidity was up and the temp was high again. I feel guilty that I didn’t do anything today, although I did make it to church. I am also feeling guilty because I got into the car three times this afternoon and made trips that probably could have been made in one trip, so feel guilty that I contributed to the carbon emissions from the car. The reason I made three trips? To cool off! It was so hot in our house that I had to get into our air conditioned car to cool off, and I did it three times instead of just once. I went to the grocery store (I really didn’t need to), and spent $40 I shouldn’t have spent, but gee whiz, the store was air conditioned and felt great. Then later I went to Walgreens to get my film developed of the photos I took when Maddy was here. An hour after that, I went back and picked up the photos. The air in the car is what got me through the day. I don’t handle humidity well. Tonight there is finally a little breeze and doesn’t seem as unbearable. However, the bedroom is hot. So it may be rough sleeping again. I gave Rob our window fan from our bedroom because he sleeps upstairs, which is even more unbearable. Oh, to have air condition. Every summer I go through days like this, I say that I’m buying a window air conditioner… Bob keeps saying no, that we don’t need it that often. One of these times, I will just march into a store and buy one myself! (Like I did the ceiling fan a few years ago, in our living room!) If we get heat and humidity here in Duluth, July is the month that we get it.

I had to chuckle when I was at Walgreens, I heard a man ask one of the clerks “Where are your fans?” Brought back memories of the first time my Mom and Dad visited us the month of July (about this time) 37 years ago…during an awful heat wave. I’m sure I’ve posted about that before, we lived in an apartment where none of the windows opened except the small bathroom window. My Mother told me we had to “have air” during the heat wave. We visited three stores and all the fans were sold out, so we put our name on a list for a shipment due in the next day, and she bought us a large standing fan. We used that fan during every heat wave since, until we put in our ceiling fan in the living room a few years ago! Maybe the man I saw at Walgreens was a Dad from out of town, visiting a daughter during Duluth’s heat wave!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>