Sunday, July 01, 2007

Shoes, Shoes, Trains, Trains






Grandma and Granddaughter Madelyn had a fun afternoon together today. Since the weather was quite cool again today, (it was bearly 62 degrees at 1 pm), I decided an indoor activity was in order. We went to visit the "Depot", the St. Louis County Heritage & Arts Center. In the Depot there is the Duluth Children's Museum and the Train Museum. We were there from almost 1:30 to 5:30. Maddy especially enjoyed the Children's Museum. There were many interactive exhibits for her to play with. There were children's books to read, games to play, and even a computer game where she made her own "quilt". The Children's Museum sure has been expanded and improved since my children were little. Wow, I was impressed. The large tree that was there when my kids were little, still was there, and she loved climbing up and down that.

There was an exhibit about SHOES. There were all kinds of shoes there for the children to try on and to play with. It explored shoes as both functional and cultural objects. She colored, cut out and hung on the wall pictures of two kinds of shoes. There was a large shoe made like a playhouse, "Old Lady that Lived in a Shoe" for the kids to play inside. She really loved that.

We also visited the Lake Superior Railroad Museum, which is in the Depot building. She loved watching the model trains run. Then at three o'clock we took a ride on the Lake Superior Train to Lester River and back. I wondered how a ride to Lester River would take an hour and a half, as it was scheduled to last. However, I found out how...the train went very slow, and it had to change tracks to change directions two times, and that took a while. The ride was interesting for her, she had never been on a train before. I've only been on a train once before, and it was a short excursion one like this, so I enjoyed it too. Right before we got to Lester River, we walked back to the open air car, and sat there for most of the trip back, until we got too cold. Upon returning to the Depot, she asked if we could go into the museum again, so we did. She played in there in the shoe and the outdoor camping exhibits for over an hour! She kept rearranging and putting things away that the kids before her had left out. She told me "I like to tidy up". I thought this interesting, since I have not noticed her "tidying up" her toys and things that she has laying all over our living and dining room floor!

When we got back home, Grandpa had a good supper of hamburgers and hotdogs from the grill all ready for us! Coco was so excited to see Grandma too!

Madelyn is fast alseep now. I think I wore her out. Tomorrow morning it's Grandpa's turn, while I head off to work, to entertain her. I work till noon, then I'll have something planned for us to do together. I have a "rainy afternoon" plan, in case it rains tomorrow.

http://www.duluthchildrensmuseum.org/
http://www.lsrm.org/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>