Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Little Bit Warmer

Linda's Thoughts from Duluth
The temps are moving upward. This morning it is -6 below zero, and the wind chill is -33 below. The high today is to be 10 above. Each day is a bit warmer and by the end of the weekend we may reach 20.

Yesterday my brother from PA called me and asked “how in the heck do you navigate out there in that sub zero weather?” He said he couldn’t imagine it being that cold. They are having colder than normal temperatures also, but if they get in the teens in the early am they think that’s cold. He asked me about our cars, if they start in the mornings. I told him that Bob goes out in the middle of the night and starts them. He laughed. He said he was glad that he’s not in Duluth. He went to the farm on Saturday to cut wood, and he said it was just too cold to be out. Speaking of wood, my other brother who has the farm house now, put in one of those new “wood burning” furnaces that is in a building outside of the home, last summer. This is the first winter run for them using it, and I asked him how it was working. He said it heats the whole house real well, but in this cold weather it really uses the wood up fast! I think here in Minnesota some have purchased them and they burn corn in them.

Today I am going to Second Harvest Food Bank to volunteer. I will be helping to pack the monthly food boxes that they distribute to young families and Senior Citizens that are in need, their "MAC & NAPS" program. (See my Sept. 29th post for information on the program). My employer allows me volunteer during work hours, which is really nice. I’m wondering how warm the large warehouse that we pack in will be this morning, think I will dress warmly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>