Sunday, February 04, 2007

"GREASE" Returns!


GREASE Returns

I try not to get tied into “reality shows” on TV, however, by accident one Sunday evening I was drawn into the “GREASE – You’re the One That I Want” show because of the music, and ended up watching the whole thing. Tonight I spent the last two hours enjoying good music and good performances from 7 girls and 7 guys auditioning for the cast of Grease’s two main characters, Sandy and Danny. Apparently the premise of the show is that we watch the performances and call in or vote on line who our favorite is, and that the audiences votes are considered as well as the those votes from the judges. I am not going to vote, because quite honestly, I don’t know how I could narrow it down further than the top 3 for each. All 14 are so good. I enjoyed all their performances, and some have their strengths in their voices and some in their dance. One of the girls is from Minnesota, and she played Sandy in a regional production. She has a great voice and did a good performance. She would be a dark haired Sandy, not blonde, but I could see her as Sandy. As I said, I think I could pick 3 Danny’s and 3 Sandy’s out of them, but don’t know how I’d choose between those three! I guess I’ll have to tune in to next Sunday’s show now.

Being a child of the 50’s, a teen of the 60’s, and a Mother of a daughter who watched Grease when it was made into a movie in the 70's, I absolutely love GREASE! I love its energy, and especially its music. The music and choreography is so much fun! Our Duluth Playhouse did a production of it a year or so ago, and I went with a friend who graduated in the 50’s. She had never seen the show before or the movie, she thoroughly enjoyed it, and I enjoyed sharing it with her. The show is coming back to Broadway this summer, with the Danny and Sandy that will be chosen from this TV show. Clever idea, whoever came up with it. It makes for good entertainment for us that love Grease! I’ve never seen a show on Broadway. Boy, would it be fun to go see this one!

"Grease is the word, is the word, is the word. . ."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>