Sunday, February 04, 2007

Soups

Soups
Speaking of soups (see post below) - when I was first married I tried to duplicate a lot of my Mother's soups. My husband would never even taste the homemade soups I made, let alone eat them. When Dawn came along, because Daddy wouldn't eat the soup, neither did she. By the time the boys came along, I gave up trying to make soup. Why go to all that time and trouble, only to have your family reject it. So, I only make two homemade soups now, and they are strictly to satisfy my need to have them, that's Mom's Potato Soup, and Split Pea and Ham soup. I love both of them, and have nurtured our one boy Rob to like them too, so at least when I make them, he will eat them, and I sometimes share with friends. I also take it along for work lunches. Sometimes I will take a large can of Campbells Beef soup, add browned ground beef to it, and a can of corn, and have modified "homemade Vegetable Soup" (learned that trick from Mom, she said it was an easy way, if you didn't want to mess with the beef bones, etc). I'm about the only that that eats that, but it lasts me for a few days, and I enjoy it.

Apparently, Bob's Mother never made homemade soup. Don't Italian households eat soup? He says they did not. I thought that Minestrone was Italian. I have an Italian cookbook or two that have soup receipes. Apparently, maybe it was just his Italian Mother, maybe she didn't like soup. In our house growing up, we had soup at least once a week, if not twice. He said they never had soup. That explained why if I ever did serve soup for a meal, he would say "soup" isn't a meal. He must not have trusted that I could make homemade soup either, he never gave me a chance. Funny, though that if he goes to a diner for lunch, he will eat their soup! And, he eats Minestrone Soup at "The Olive Garden". Funny...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>