Saturday, January 03, 2009

In Memory 2008


In addition to losing Carmella, my sister in law, I also had to say goodbye to my Uncle Dick in August. Actually, I didn't get to say goodbye to him. He had a massive stroke and died a few days later. However, I was fortunate enough to follow up on an urge I had to call him and my aunt about two Sunday's before his stroke. They had moved into their daughter's home, they built a beautiful addition for them to live in, and I called and talked with both of them. They moved to her home because Aunt Sylvia was developing Alzeheimers disease, and they knew it would get harder for Uncle Dick as time went on. We were so concerned about her, never expecting to lose him, isn't that how things go sometimes! Anyhow, they were both very happy and in very good spirits when I talked to them. I'm so glad that I had called. They are my Aunt and Uncle who came out to Duluth many times over the years to visit with us. One time they drove out in August of 72, just to bring our daughter and me back to PA for my brother Steve's wedding, how many aunts and uncles would do that for their neice? I was always a special neice to them, since I was the first Grandchild on my Dad's side. They did so many things for me, and they were very special to me. It meant so much to me all the times they came out to Duluth to see us, the last time they came was in '97 for our son Rob's graduation. I suspected then, that would be their last trip here, but Uncle Dick always held out hope that they would make it out one more time. I spent an afternoon and evening visiting with Aunt Sylvia at my cousin's house when I was home in September. I believe that she knew it was me, even with her alzeheimer's. It was a wonderful visit for me, though didn't seem the same without Uncle Dick there. He will always be in my heart.

I am posting a photo of my Aunts and Uncles that was taken when we were out to lunch my visit in September. These are my Dad's sisters and two brothers, and their spouses (although we have lost Uncle Bill and Uncle Stan, and now Uncle Dick, my Dad, and my Aunt Nancy, and Aunt Sylvia was not there with us). The other photo is of Aunt Sylvia, Uncle Dick and my Dad, that was taken on one of my trips home, when Aunt Sylvia was still herself, it is a favorite photo of mine. My Dad was the oldest of the family and Aunt Sylvia is next to him in age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>