Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"Most" Accurate Scale

Have you ever had to have blood drawn, a urinalysis and having to answer all kinds of questions, for life insurance? I never have had to do that, until today. Today is my 11th Anniversary of my employment. I have made it through many ups and downs with my job over these 10 years, but I found out one good thing last month - my longevity is being rewarded, not just with an extra 5 days of vacation in 2009 (Yeah!) but I was told that the insurance that is given to us employees at no cost to us, paid for by our employer, will be increased substantially (again at no cost to me). That was good news to hear. (or should I say, good news for my husband to hear, ha ha). But, apparently I have to be found to be "medically worthy"! I had to fill out detailed application and was told that someone from the insurance company would contact me to get blood samples, etc. I guess records from my doctor are not good enough? Well, today was that day. I made the appointment for first thing in the morning, because I was to have "fasted" for 8 hours, and I wasn't about to do that during the day. Anyhow, the examiner came with a kit filled with all kinds of equipment. Test tubes for the blood and urine, she took my blood pressure THREE times (and told me it was excellent, all three times), then after collecting three tubes of blood and two of urine and my blood pressure, I thought I was done...but no...she digs into her bag, and out comes a scale! "Golly", I said to her, "can't you take my word for it about what I weigh?" But, no she could not take my word for it. I had to step on "her official scales", which she told me was completely accurate, she keeps it tested at all times and "it's the most accurate scale anywhere".

Now, I haven't discussed my weight loss program with you lately, but you know how it is over Christmas, I slipped some, but basically maintained my weight that I haven't been able to get under for the last two months, and the last two months I just keep playing around that plateau weight and 4 more pounds up from it, up and down, up and down. This morning I was up again, I was not happy. However, her scale registered that I was 10 lbs lower than my scale said this morning! That 10 lb would put me 3 pounds under the weight I have been striving for these last 2 months! It was one time I was happy to see the scales, that she insisted is the most accurate scale! She asked if it was what my scale said, "No, I said "But I'll take it, put it down on your report!" It made my day! (It also helped me to keep on track all day with my food) AND I stopped at the fitness center for the water aerobic class! I just suspect strongly that tomorrow morning MY scale will not register the weight I saw this morning. Oh well, I hope to get to that weight legitimately SOON!

PS..what are your thoughts on insurance companies doing this. One of my co/workers said she would never be comfortable with letting an insurance company have her blood. I told her "Gee, don't give me your paranoia, I'm not going there..." (I have enough other things to worry about).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>