Saturday, January 12, 2008

Happiness

Did any of you catch the "20/20" show last night on TV? It was about “Happiness”. My Mother used to quote Abraham Lincoln who said “People are as happy as they make up their minds to be”. I do believe that is true, I always think of that, and strive to "make up my mind to be happy" no matter what life throws me. It isn't always easy, but I try my best. Another one of those influences of my Mother. She did not let circumstances get her down. She used to say when I'd say someone was unhappy, "well, they'll get glad again". Another famous saying she would tell us when we would say "It's not fair", was that "Nobody ever said life was fair".

After hearing this show, I believe more people will understand that it is up to them to make themselves happy. There was an author featured who did research and wrote a book that was published last month that said that “Happiness is within us” and that “40 % of us control the circumstances that make us happy”, that only 10% of happiness depends on “life’s circumstances”. It’s our attitude, our outlook, and we are in control of doing “intentional activities” that will make us happy. Now, isn't that something! The book is titled “The How of Happiness”, by Sonja Lyvbomirsky. She did say though, that she believes that some people have a “Happier Brain” than others. Meaning that someone with a “Happy Brain” when they have negative emotions the negative emotions don’t last, the negativity is not dwelled upon. Very interesting subject to think about as we start our new year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>