Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Fruitcake Queen

Speaking of traditions, some say that fruitcake giving is a tradition during the holidays. I don’t know about that, most people I know say they hate fruitcake. Our church women make a very good fruitcake that is not hard, it is very moist and delicious. I tend not to give them as gifts, because I know people would probably not even give it a chance and taste it, even when I tell them "this fruitcake is different". I do, however purchase a few of them when they make them, to support their cause, and I enjoy eating them. Everyone who tries Hope's Fruitcakes likes them, I'm pretty sure, because each year when they make them for a fundraiser, they have lots of orders to fill.

There was a brand that my Mother used to buy that she and Dad really liked, it was one that was very moist, and it could only be purchased through mail order. I don’t know what the name was. When I went home in November, I tucked 2 small loaves in my suitcase. I told my sister in law I would put them out for the party we were going to have. She told me that she was the “Fruitcake Queen” because she had the best ever recipe for it, and was in fact, in the process of making it for the holidays. Apparently hers was made with a yeast “starter”, and it sat on her kitchen counter and was to be “fed” and/or stirred every few days until it was ready to bake. My brother told me that even those that hate fruitcake, love hers, and so did he. She told me when hers were finished, she was going to send me one. Last week I received a package from her. Inside was a lovingly wrapped fruitcake. Tim was right, her fruitcake was very good! It was moist and much like cake. It reminded me of Mom’s raisin cake, which was one of the best homemade cakes she made. We have never been able to locate her recipe for it, but we wish we had it. That reminds me, I have one more small loaf of Hope’s fruitcake in the freezer, I’m going to get it out for tomorrow. Yes, Vickie, you are the “Queen of the Fruitcake”. (Just don’t let the church women at HOPE hear me say that!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>