Monday, December 31, 2007

Foundation of Friends - Lucky Girl!

I’ve been reading the December issue of Prevention magazine. There is an article titled “Your Foundation of Friends”. It tells about friendships not only making you happy, but also keeping you healthy. I have so many friends, and a whole assortment of different kinds of friends. I have always considered myself lucky to have these friendships. Because I love these people and enjoy their company, even if I only see them once a year, I have always strived to nurture these friends and keep in touch with them. I know that I would never have survived 38 years of living away from my family in PA, if I did not have a ton of friends here in Duluth. The first few years of my married life I only had one good friend, and I wouldn’t have survived without her. Eventually, through the years, I added many friends.

In those first 5 – 10 years of marriage, I had more friends in PA than I did in MN. It drove my parents nuts when I went home, having to see every one of them, my Mother used to say “you don’t have to see them all on this trip!” But, I felt that I did, I wanted to, it was important! When I started getting friends here in Duluth, it got easier for me to live here. Now, I don’t know if I could leave Duluth, because I’d have to leave all my great friends!

The article also says that “Friendships are a greater predictor of longevity than even close family ties, and they can protect against obesity, depression, and heart disease. These are the six type of friends that she says we should keep on our speed dial.

I have many friends that are representative of each of these types. How much luckier can a girl be? Take inventory and see if you have friends in each category, it will make for a happier and healthier 2008 if you do. The article detailed each kind of friend. If you would like to read it, it’s from December, 2007 Prevention Magazine. The article is by Elizabeth Larsen and titled “Your Foundation of Friends”.

Read my posts below about the six types of friends everyone should have. I have also written a bit about the friend/s that represent these types in my life.

I wish for you in 2008 a friend in each of these categories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>