Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Family Gathering II

Family Gathering II
My brother told our family that if he was fortunate enough to be able to live in the farm house, that he would have gatherings there and picnics for the family. So, when I knew I was coming home, I asked him and Vickie if they would be willing to have the first “family gathering at the farm” when I was home. They talked it over and decided that yes that would be fun. I told them that I would help. I knew the Aunts and Uncles, especially, have been wanting to see the house, knowing that they have been working on it for more than a year. I thought it would be a good chance for them to show the family what they have done with the house, as well as a chance for me to see everyone!

We had it on Saturday (not the Sat. that I came in). Vickie told me I was “in charge of the invitations”, and she would be in charge of the “food”. Vickie is like my Mother, she likes to cook. She likes to cook for people and enjoys doing so. She told me she had a menu in mind within a day or so of when we talked about it. We did grocery shopping together on Monday. We each bought stuff and checked out, combining our things into the car. I told her I would make Minnesota Bars. She laughed, because she knew why I said Minnesota Bars. She always teased me over the years because I talked about “Bars”. They make mostly “cakes” and “cookies” there and never refer to anything as a “bar”. I bought the things I needed for the 4 kinds of bars I decided I would make. My sister Julie was in charge of the cookies. She made 4 different kinds of cookies and doubled each recipe. She is the best cookie maker in the family. I love to make desserts, cakes and cookies, and so does Julie. Vickie said she is NOT a dessert maker, she loves to make main dishes, so we left the main dishes to her.

Vickie had great food. She made HOMEMADE Chicken Corn Soup, HOMEMADE Ham and Bean soup, HOMEMADE Beef B B Q (using Tim’s homemade Catsup). I made Minnesota Crock Pot Mushrooms. My sister made a delicious crock pot macaroni and cheese, and of course we had lots of trimmings such as Utz’s Potato chips, Martins B B Q Chips, Pretzels, nuts, pickles, olives, etc, etc. We had so many desserts, that we had to use the table in the dining room to put them all on. (My four kinds of bars), and Julie’s cookies, and a homemade mince meat pie and a lemon meringue pie that I bought at a craft shop in East Berlin. The farm house has a "summer kitchen" like farm houses used to have. This second kitchen is really great for big gatherings... we could have all the food out there, and then go back into the kitchen to eat. Vickie also has a store, refrigerator and cupboards out there, so she could do all the cooking there. Wouldn't we all love to have "two kitchens"!

On Friday morning, Julie and I got together at Julie’s house and did our baking. We had so much fun! My girlfriend Nancy, from N J , got there about 11 am, and visited with us both while we baked. She was the official taster. When we finished baking, about 2:00, Nancy I went to lunch. We wanted Julie to come too, but she begged off (probably had enough of us by then!).

On Saturday morning, Vickie, Julie and I joined forces and got ready for the BIG PARTY that was to start at NOON and go until ??? (according to the invitations I sent). There were a lot of people there by 12:30, and most people came and stayed. Most everyone crowded into the kitchen (it is a big kitchen) and sat around the big kitchen table and we talked and talked. The relatives were so pleased to see that Tim and Vickie are keeping up the house and loved what they have done to it.

They came all afternoon, and the last of them left at 10 pm. Then Tim and Vickie told me to sit down and count how many were there that day... because they teased me badly all week when I told them there would be 41 there, if all came. They told me I grossly under estimated and that there would be more like 60 there. So they wanted to prove their point. And, that they did! There were 62 people that came and went that day! Well, I guess I did forget to maybe include some of the “kids” of the cousins, and then one of my Aunts and Uncles brought their three grandchildren with them (well, I hadn’t counted them either)…ha ha. So, they were right, I was wrong, and knowing Vickie, I will never live that down! 62, just on my Dad's side of the family! Didn't I tell you I come from a large family!

Anyhow, it was a great day for all of us and most especially for me. I am so appreciative of Tim, Vickie and Julie for all they did to make the party for the family.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like so much fun--a very warm and happy time.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>