Wednesday, November 21, 2007

CHICKEN POT-PIE - PA DUTCH Speciality

This is the recipe for the pot pie I wrote about in the post below that my Sister-in-Law made when I was home. Hers tasted everybit as good as my Mother's. She has my Mother's knack for cooking, as does my sister!

POT PIE (Boiled)
(Pennsylvania Dutch)/Also known as Beef or Chicken Pot Pie, depending which meat you use

In Minnesota we have “Boiled Dinner” of ham, potatoes, rutagabas, etc.
In Pennsylvania our boiled dinner is “Pot Pie”. It's a dish that I crave for everytime I visit home. I tried to make it twice in my years of living in Minnesota, but both times it did not turn out well, so I've been shy on trying it again.

Ingredients:
This can be Beef or Chicken Pot Pie. My Mother made both kinds. We loved them both!
Beef or Chicken – to make a good broth (good broth is key!)
Use a 6 quart kettle. Cut 1 ½ - 2 lbs of stewing beef or chicken, whichever you prefer to use. Cut into serving pieces, add boiling water to the top of the kettle and cook the meat until tender about 1 ½ hours. When the meat is cooked and tender, add a diced onion, 4 potatoes (quartered) minced parsley and some black pepper. Bring the broth to a boil, when it is boiling, drop in layers, slowly, half of the dough squares,(recipe below) one by one, covering the whole broth. Stir with a spoon to mix thoroughly before adding the rest of the dough. Stir again. Cover and boil for 20 minutes without removing lid. If it gets dry and you must add water, then add boiling water.
Recipe for the Dough:
2 cups flour ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder 1 egg
2 tbsp. shortening 1/3 cup water

Cut the shortening into the combined dry ingredients. Stir in lightly the beaten egg and water, to make soft dough. On a floured board, roll out as thinly as possible the dough. Cut into 2 inch squares with a knife or pastry wheel. Note: This dough is light and fluffy. There is a “heavy” dough, use 3 tbs. shortening instead of 2 and use ¼ to ½ cup of milk (instead of water). I think, but not sure, that my Mother used the fluffy dough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>