Monday, July 09, 2007

Old Central H S - 50th Class Reunion in August

(Wish I could have found a larger photo of the school). This is Old Duluth Central High School that sits in the heart of downtown Duluth. It was replaced by a "new Central H S" built in early 1970's. (see post and photos below) This old, very sturdy building (built in 1891) still stands and serves as the Duluth School District's Administration Building. The inside has been refurbished and it is a beauty, both inside and out.

I posted early this morning about Central High School (see below) because I woke up at 4 am thinking about the family gathering we are going to have at our house the first Sunday in August. It's not very far away, and I must decide what food to have. Bob's cousin and his wife and Bob's sister and her husband are coming from Arizona and California for their 50th Class Reunion from Central High School that weekend. (Old Central) We want to have a family get together that Sunday. They have their big get together that night. So, I'm trying to decide whether to have a big meal, grill outside, have picnic style food, or buffet, or light summer fare. My husband says I should wait till a few days before and see the weather forecast, but he doesn't understand the logisitics of planning for company, I need to know sooner than that what I'm going to serve. So, I couldn't sleep. I was up at 5 am looking through receipes. Of course, that got me thinking again about the school board's proposal for closing Central High School. I posted photos I just took last week (below) when Maddy and I went up there. Above this post, I'm putting the photo of "Old" Central High School. The outside of which still looks the same as it did 50 years ago when Frank and Carmella graduated from there, and over 40 years ago when my husband graduated from it. What a beautiful building, thank goodness people in the late 60's and early 70's didn't allow it to be torn down. I hear that graduates that visit Duluth still visit this building and go up to the 230 foot clock & bell tower. The Alumini Association has dedicated a room in there to historical things about the school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>