Tuesday, July 24, 2007

20 years plus - from Children to Grandchildren!

When our boys were little and I wasn’t working outside of the home, I belonged to a group of women who planned a luncheon each month to host an inspirational Christian speaker for women to attend the luncheon and listen to the speaker. It was called the “Christian Women’s Club”, a ministry of the Stonecroft Ministries. It was a gentle, non threatening way of bringing the gospel to women. I went to this luncheon off and on, then I came onto the board. I was on the board for about 4 years, maybe 5, I don’t really remember. I remember that Scott was a baby and I took him to the planning meetings and the luncheon, which meant twice a month that he would be with other children in a nursery. He tells me he remembers going to these when he was quite a bit older, so I guess maybe it was 5 years. I know that I stepped down from the board, when I decided I was getting too wrapped up into the whole planning process and never had time to think about who I’d like to invite. (which was the mission of the "club") And, as we have all probably found, when you do something once a month, the next month comes rolling around way too fast. Anyhow, the point of my story is this…. one of our group that was on the board a long time also, rounded up many of the women and invited them to her house for a potluck last night… A “Christian Women’s Board” Reunion! Of this group I only see two of the women off and on in these later years of my life, and one I see a lot of, as we are best friends and live close by each other. So this get together last evening was really a lot of fun. We all saw women that most of us haven’t seen in 20 years! One of the women told me that my grandson couldn’t possibly be 17 years old, as she remembered like yesterday when he was born!
Most of us all had children the same age as my Scott was…all under 5 and we had a nursery for the children during the luncheon and also during our meetings. We had a wonderful older lady, that absolutely loved children, take care of the nursery along with some help when our group of kiddys kept growing.

But, last evening, instead of all of us talking about our children, we were all talking about our grandchildren! Grandchildren (other than maybe me - I was a "young" Grandma) that none of us had during those years. It seemed funny to think that 20 – 25 years had passed. In some ways, none of us felt like that time had passed, but in other ways it did. The gal’s house that we were at, she and her husband were building that house all the years we were on the board together…we used to ask her if she ever thought the house would get done and most of us never got to see the finished product until last night, we could all agree that it certainly was worth the wait for them...as it is a most beautiful home! Not many young people now a days would be content to live for 5 – 8 years building their house a bit at a time as they could afford it, and even living in the basement part for a few years… No, our generation of children would never do that anymore. (And I can personally tell you about that, when I write one of these days about our youngest son building a house, and not having patience…etc. – more on that later).

Yes, we had a fun evening, visiting and re-connecting with old friends. It was like 20 years had never been between us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>