Sunday, May 13, 2007

Not Just Another Day - Mother's Day, 2007


Mother’s Day today, and what a nice Mother’s Day it was for me. Yesterday, 11:30 am, our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter pulled into our driveway unexpectedly. They drove up from Hudson to surprise me for Mother’s Day. My husband knew they were coming, but I didn’t know. They wanted to surprise me. What a great surprise it was for me! This was the best Mother’s Day weekend I have had since my children have been grown.

I think Dawn knew how hard this weekend would be for me, with the loss of my Mother 2 years ago, on Mother’s Day morning, and my Mother-in-law being gone also. When you are raising your family, Mother’s Days are always focused on your Mother and your Mother-in-law. When both of them are gone, it really makes Mother’s Day different, because even though we are Mother’s, the focus we had for so many years is not there, except to have the memories, and to think how on Mother’s Day, our Mother is gone. The memories, of course, are good, but it also makes one sad, knowing they are not here. One thing that helps is if your children focus the day on their Mother (you). It’s nice to have your adult children recognize you on Mother’s Day, and remind you that you have been and are a good Mom. My daughter made my weekend extra special by traveling 150 miles to be with me, and my grown sons also made it nice for me too.

I was taken out to eat at a great restaurant last night, that I chose, (with husband of course), and they gave me a beautiful hanging geranium plant for our porch. They even stayed longer than usual today, by not heading back home till later this afternoon. Dawn and I worked out together this morning at the fitness center, and had a good time. Yesterday afternoon we did a little shopping, and visited with Scott’s girlfriend, Sarah. Early this morning, my granddaughter gave me a beautiful card and a hug and kiss. Their darling dog came with, (Coco) and she gave me lots of love and fun too. Our oldest son gave me a great card; I know he chose especially for me. And, he also gave me the DVD “The Prairie Home Companion”. He knew I had wanted to see the movie when it was in the theater, and I didn’t see it. I watched it this afternoon, and really enjoyed it. Our grandson was not able to come, but I talked to him on the phone and got good wishes from him. The weather was beautiful both days, with the rest of the leaves out on the trees, and everything green and pretty.

I was appalled when a friend told me that “Mother’s Day is just another day”. No, Mother’s Day is NOT just another day! It is a day to treasure and honor your Mother, your Mother in law and your Grandmothers, even if they are no longer with you. And, a day to let your children treasure and honor their Mother.

Yes, it was a great Mother’s Day weekend. It wasn’t just “another day”.

I’m remembering Dolly, my Mother and my Grandmothers, but with good memories, and not with tears. I honor them and treasure them. I also am thankful that I am a Mother and that I am a Mother to three great children and Grandmother to two neat grandchildren! I am truly thankful today, Mother's Day!

Thank you, my dear children for making my Mother's Day special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>