Saturday, July 22, 2006

A Quick Decision

My youngest cousin on my Dad’s side just got married when she and her boyfriend of 7 years were away on vacation. Jessica is the youngest Ebersole cousin and I am the oldest, with a lot of cousins in between us. She and I have always thought that was special. I’ve only seen Jessica about 2 times since she’s grown up, but I still feel a special connection to her. She is now 34. Her Mother told me they didn’t think she and Joseph would ever get married, so in celebration of their marriage her Mother and Dad are having a wedding reception gathering to honor them the evening of Aug. 11th. Aunt Peggy e mailed me a few weeks ago and said “maybe you could be there”. I was too busy with my job and the relay preparations to even think about it. On Sunday I talked to my brother, he asked if I was coming home for the party, said it would be a good time to see all the family. Then my sister e mailed me over the weekend and told me the same thing. Since I hadn’t made my plans for my ’06 visit home, I finally took some time on Tuesday evening to consider going home at that time. The question wasn’t “do I want to go”, the question was “do I have the money for a ticket?” Air fares have been very high and when I looked on line the fare was still higher than I’ve ever paid for a 21 day advance ticket. Then I realized, 21 day advance…the party is August 11…I counted backward, and realized I needed to make my decision quickly, in fact by Thursday if I was to get the lower 21 day fare! This was Wednesday! So, talked it over with Bob, he said, buy only one ticket, we can’t afford two, then Thursday morning I asked my supervisor for vacation during that time, she approved, and I knew if I wanted to make the party I needed to make the decision Thursday night! All the signs were there that I should go. (I always look for signs). SO…Thursday night, I sat down at the computer and purchased my ticket. I will be leaving from Minneapolis, since it’s almost $130 more to leave from Duluth. I didn’t even have time to confer with Dawn, who would be shuttling me to and from the airport from Hudson. When I told her my plane leaves at 6 am, she asked me “what were you thinking…6 am, that early?!” I laughed and told her I guess the only thing I was thinking was that I would arrive at noon, and I thought noon was good, it meant I’d have a whole ½ day more with my family!

One disappointment, my grandson really wanted to go with me the next trip home, but he is so busy with teen activities and work, that he would not be able to clear his calendar to go along. Too short of notice for Rob, Dawn and Scott, so I will be going by myself. (which in some ways is good, because I don’t have to try to please anyone else, while I’m there). One bonus of making the plans so near to the date, is that I don’t have long to wait for my trip home. I was so excited about going on Thursday night, that I couldn't sleep! Yeah . . . August 10th will be here before I know it! Sometimes, quick decisions are good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>