Sunday, July 04, 2010

Yankee Doodle Dandy!


Happy Fourth of July! Happy Birthday to our great country!

We just finished watching "Yankee Doodle Dandy", 1942 movie about George M. Cohen's life. He won the Congressional Medal of Honor" for his War World I songs that he wrote, "Over There", and "Grand Old Flag" and his other patrionic songs and plays that he wrote, which contributed encouragement and patronism to the soliders and country through our wars. Great movie!

I used to watch this movie when I was growing up, and now, as a adult, everytime that it comes on I watch it again, and my husband too! We weren't even born when this movie was made, but we both still love watching it!

When growing up, I didn't know much about George M. Cohen, other than what I saw in the movie. Vaudeville was over and living in the country, I sure wasn't in tune to any broadway shows! But, today I looked up on the internet (in childhood we would have looked him up in our World Book Encylopedia). I read about his life, and it was good to fill in things that the movie didn't have.

So, I have posted a photo of him from "google images". Doesn't exactly look like James Cagney, but I'm sure he would have agreed that James Cagney did a good job portraying him.

Happy Birthday to our USA!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>