Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Dead Sea Scrolls

These scrolls over 2,000 years ago were found hidden in caves in The Dead Sea, near The Holy Land, where Jesus walked. Many were found in jars as the photo below.



Last Tuesday, I took a day of vacation from my job to join a group of women from Hope and area churches, to travel to The Minnesota Science Museum in St. Paul (MN) to see their exhibit of "The Dead Sea Scrolls" and "St. John's Illuminated Bible". It was well worth taking a day off, the exhibits were great, and very interesting! There was a lot of history and background given to help understand how, where, and also the impact of finding the scrolls! The first ones were found the year I was born. After that, they went back to the caves and found more, over a period of time throughout the 50's and early 60's. It is just amazing how those findings could be translated and prove the writings of the Bible!

Pages from The St. John's Illuminated Bible, were also on display. (see my post on it). We were in there over 2 hours, and didn't even realize two hours had passed when we came out from the exhibit hall!

I have to add too, that being on a bus with a group of fun loving ladies, made the 2 1/2 hour trip of going and coming, lots of fun too!! Thanks to Pastor Laurie from Hope UMC for coordinating this trip.

I'm so thankful that my eye was better, so I didn't have to miss a worthwhile day. It made up for the weekend before!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>