Monday, July 05, 2010

Enjoyed my Day Off!

Quiet 4th of July..... and I liked it that way! Saturday and yesterday were so hot and muggy here in Duluth, that without an air conditioned home, I just couldn't move... the humidity really bothers me. You'd never know I grew up in this stuff back in SE Pennsylvania! But, I've been here 40 years, so like most native Duluthians, I can't handle it. Back in PA so many people now have air or central air in their homes (not when I was young...but now most people do)...but here in the Northland, we usually only get this heat in humidity for a week or two, usually in July. Not enough to warrant spending money to get central air installed. (Unless you have to buy a new furnace, they say it doesn't cost that much more to get the air then)...but we can't afford a new furnace, so am certainly not hoping for that. It really was too hot for me to go outside, and I know as beautiful as it looked, I really should have gone out, and I do feel guilty about that. I stayed in with our ceiling fan on in the living room, and our fan in the bedroom! I tried sitting out on the deck to read last evening, but the mosquitoes came out...and they love me! So, back in I came. We don't go down to bayfront to watch the fireworks, since the kids have grown up. If we had the Grandchildren here in town, I know we would. Watching the kids watch the fireworks, is what is fun about them! Duluth does put on a wonderful fireworks display, and I heard they did so again this year. I did get my Fourth of July spirit though, by watching "Yankee Doodle Dandy", and last evening I spent three hours watching about The Battle of Gettysburg" on the "Military" channel, that I found by accident. It was from a different prospective and very interesting. Also, an hour about President Lincoln and his Gettysburg Address. (Which I memorized in 5th grade, and can still recite!). I also watched "John Adams" series on cable, about our country's beginning. Very good.

So, I got nothing done, on Sat. or yesterday, except to go to church (we all sweltered), and on Sat. I went to the grocery store, and didn't mind it one bit, spent quite a bit of time there, in their air condition.....took my time and cooled off nicely. But...I got a lot of rest and relaxation.
Today, the humidity was better, and because I was rested up for two days... I was ambitious! Haven't felt as energeric as today, in a long time! I got a lot accomplished! I did laundry while Bob was golfing (he usually does laundry), and I cooked for meals for the rest of the week, made us a good supper, cleaned the kitchen, refrig., bathroom, and hit areas I don't usually hit. I even feel good enough to write a post on my neglected blog, at 8:45 pm!

I think I will feel refreshed and good about going back to work tomorrow...and it will only be a 4 day week. I can only hope that I will feel this ambitious next Saturday!!

Hope your 4th was a good one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>