Sunday, October 12, 2008

Going Home

This is the view of the farm that my sister sees from their home at the end of this lane.


This tree used to be small when I was growing up, and I would play "house" along the lane in what was a field by the lane, and is now my sister's yard. Look at the beautiful ivy she has planted by the tree trunk.


Julie's lawn, by the road. The white farm house you see from her yard, is our uncle's home, which used to be the farm house and farm that my Father grew up on. The house was built by our Great Grandfather John. When I was growing up both sides of this road had grown up "fence rows", so we wouldn't have seen the road.


This is my sister's home. Her husband and his Father built this home together. They lived at the farm house with Mom and Dad while the house was being built.

It is much different going home without your parents being there. I lost Dad in ’04 and Mom in ’05, so it’s been awhile, and I have been home since then, but it still is hard.

I stayed with my sister and her family. She is right up the “lane” from the farm that we all grew up on. I think you will remember my telling you that my brother Tim and his family now live in the farm house. Our youngest brother does the farming. Tim did a lot of work inside the house the first year he lived there, now this past summer he spent time working on the outside of the house. He found the original shutters from the house, in the attic. He painted them and is in the process of putting them on the windows, after painting and caulking the window frames. The shutters have really added to the stone house, and make it look even more colonial! I am so thankful that they are taking good care of our family homestead, and I know that Mom and Dad know!! (See photos that I will post)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>