Sunday, October 12, 2008

Aunt Sylvia

ORCHARD COUNTRY (doesn't look like it from the photo, but this was a steep hill) Orchard Country - less than 20 minutes from our homestead.
I stopped one day to take a photo of this beautiful country church in the middle of orchards, and view of the mountains in the background. Across the street was this apple orchard, and I visited with the owner, who was picking apples off the ground, that came down the night before during the bad rain and wind storm. He didn't want them to rot on the ground, so he was picking them.
THIS photo above, was a cherry orchard that we picked cherries in (for $ - .30 a bucket), our Dad went with us and we all picked cherries, everyday for about 2 weeks.
Chester Grove Church - this church sits at the top of a hill and in the background are the mountains, it is a beautiful view.
These photos above were not taken on the hilly hill lined by orchards that I talk about below.

One Aunt that couldn’t join our lunch, was my Aunt Sylvia, who is now suffering from Alzeheimer’s. She is my oldest aunt. She is a retired 1st grade teacher. My uncle Dick, who passed away in August, was a retired teacher and principal. Education was very important to them, and they were both good teachers.

She and Uncle Dick were the aunt and uncle that would come to visit us in Duluth many times over the 39 years I have been here. One time they made a special trip out here, just to pick up our 2 year old Dawn and me, and bring us back to PA for my brother Steve’s wedding! I will never forget that trip, and how good Aunt Sylvia was at getting a very overly tired 2 year old to sleep in our motel room that night in Michigan on our trip back. Their last trip here was in 1997, when they came out especially for our Rob's Graduation Party. They brought along their Granddaughter.

I probably mentioned to you before, that Aunt Sylvia and Uncle Dick are the aunt and uncle that did so much for me when I was little, they would take me places and take me to their place for a weekend, they always enjoyed having their first niece, I think because they had no children at the time, and I was the first grandchild. Uncle Dick was a principal at an elementary school and one summer, I took a Math summer school class at his school (I was terrible at Math, and Mother thought I needed more tutoring in it!). I was in sixth grade, and I rode back and forth to Carlise every day with him for summer school that summer. So, even when I was older, he did things for me. Aunt Sylvia would have lunch and an Ice Cream Soda waiting for me when we got home. Some days we would stop at a restaurant (something I never got to do), and I always got a hamburger with Onion (because that's what he ordered) and fries!

She lost Uncle Dick in August, age 85, due to a major stroke. They have one daughter, who last December moved them into her home, after she and her husband put a lovely addition onto their home, with a nice apartment for her Mother and Dad. I spent an afternoon and evening with her. She seemed to know it was me, but with Alzeheimer’s you just never know. Although she told me “I bet your Mom and Dad are happy to see you”, which led me to believe that she did know it was me. (Not remembering that my Mom and Dad are both deceased). They live just outside of Carlisle, and to get to their house, I went the hilly way, up over the mountain. It’s a beautiful road that goes through Adams County fruit orchards. It is a beautiful drive! I wanted to stop and take photos, however, the shoulders of the road were so narrow, I was afraid to. I did stop at one of the fruit stands and picked up fresh fruit to take along. I am so thankful to see what wonderful care, their daughter, Jennifer and her husband Gary, have taken of them both, and now their Mother. They are so happy to have her there, and with the grandchildren there, it's really good for Aunt Sylvia. Her sisters, who get together monthly to play bridge, came up last month to Jennifer's house, and Aunt Sylvia is still able to play bridge, they said it's remarkable how sharp she still is with bridge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>