Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Glad to Give that Duty up!

I was leaving this afternoon to drive to the cities for training at our Mendota Heights office. I was going to stay at Dawn’s tonight, since she is within 30 minutes of the office down there, and took Thurs. morning off to drive home. Our office does not have windows. Around 10:30 someone came in and said it was snowing. A bit later I got an e mail from my daughter telling me it was snowing down there and the roads were bad. After going on line at several weather sites, and looking at weather here, down there and in between, I made a decision by 11:30 not to make the trip.

The snow kept coming down and everyone coming in the office was telling us the roads were very treacherous. Heavy snow warning and travel advisory. The girls that have lap top computers, deserted early, saying they would work from home. By 1:30, my supervisor was talking with our region leader telling her that we should close the office due to the inclement weather. As “Facility Assistant” the burden of deciding when and if to close the office due to weather used to fall on me. Now that we have a “manager” in the office, that is higher on the structure than a Facility Assistant, the job falls to her, happy to give it to her! I told her today that I was glad that she had this duty now. (Mainly because we have to get permission from someone that is 150 miles away, so it's a hassle). I’m also happy that she is a compassionate person!

Now, tomorrow morning at 5 am, I will have to decide if the roads are manageable to drive to the cities to be there by 9 am. They also are getting this storm down there too, so I’m sure the roads won’t be real great. There is not any snow in the forecast for tomorrow, just cold. Snow is forecasted for Thursday, so if I go, I may have to go down and back on the same day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>