Monday, December 03, 2007

Friends Forever!


I’ll write you a bit more about my visit home. I have so many friends in PA, that I can’t see all of them during each trip. So, each trip I try to get together with one or two that I haven’t seen in a long time or at least the last trip or so.

I was able to visit with a good friend from school, who grew up down the road from me, Dottie. We haven’t seen each other in 3 years. She and her husband are now retired, and doing a lot of traveling. Some day they may come to Duluth to visit. The photo above is Dottie, in our front yard at the farm. She and I used to "sun bathe" in our younger days, before we knew how bad the sun was for our skin! I wrote about her one time on one of my posts about being the new girl in the neighborhood. She moved from the "big city" of Hanover, to the country when she was in 7th grade. It was quite a "culture shock" to her. (I asked her permission to post this photo).

I also visited with a friend I became very close to after my high school years. She and her husband were good friends, we haven’t seen each other in 15 years. Both of these friends now have grown children, and lots of grandchildren. We talked and talked. Susie showed me photos of she and her husband helping to build a home in Louisiana, for a family that became homeless during Katrina, and told me about their experiences. This is the second mission trip they have been on through their church, helping Katrina victims. Her husband is semi retired, and Susie retired last year. They are spending their time helping people through mission work with their church.

Another friend who I saw last trip home, that I hadn’t seen in over 30 years, is the one who picked me up at the airport, so we had lunch when I got in, and we visited over lunch and the on the way to the farm.

My best friend, Nancy from New Jersey, always comes up to see me each time I come home. She and I have been friends since 4th grade and she was my Maid of Honor at our wedding. She and I spent a whole day and evening together, during which time she was the official cookie taster when Julie and I were baking, and then we went to lunch, shopping and to the nursing home to visit her Mother.

One evening I was with 10 girls who were classmates from my high school graduating class. They get together quarterly and have dinner together at a restaurant. The week I was home, happened to be that week, so I enjoyed visiting with them!

When I am with these friends it's just like we have never been apart. It's like we are still back in elementary, high school or 20 years old!

I’m so glad that I have kept up with my friends over the 38 years of being in Minnesota. There’s something about visiting friends who knew you when you were in elementary school , and knew you when…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>