Sunday, December 02, 2007

Who is Kate Spade?

Do you know who Kate Spade is?

My Daughter in law to be was having one of those “parties” yesterday afternoon. I thought it would be postponed due to the weather, but it wasn’t. The snow was coming down and I had all I could do to get home safely from downtown when I was at the fitness center. It wasn’t snowing when I left home, and the snow wasn’t to start until noon, so thought I would get home before it started. When I came out from the center we already had 2 or three inches! The roads were very slippery.

I wanted to stay home once I arrived home safely from downtown. I never go out in weather like that if I don’t have to, and I really definitely didn’t have to go to her party. However, my husband surprised me by encouraging me to go to “show support for her”… umm… it was clear across town, but my husband said if I went the “back way” I would only have one hill to go up and that was a main street hill (Piedmont Ave.). My instinct was to stay home, but… to show my support to family, off I went. I worried the whole time I was there, about getting back home because the snow was still coming down, very fast. I told her I would only go out in weather like that “for her”! The trip there and back was not fun. I had to stop once each way, just to clean the ice off of my windshield wipers, as it was a very wet snow. The roads were slippery and I was pretty much a nervous wreck by the time I got back home. It was nice that she called me after I got home, to be sure I arrived back home safely. What added to my stress of yesterday afternoon was not just the snow, but the amount of money I spent when I went to "show my support!" I came home feeling pretty stressed!

This was a “purse” party…ever heard of one of them? It's something new. Sarah is a very stylish person and must have as big a wardrobe of purses and shoes as she does clothes, and a purse to match every outfit. The purses were all “name brands” that the prices supposedly were very much less than sold in retail. She has lots of these “name brand” purses, so of course, this kind of party appealed to her, and many of her friends. The purses were “Coach” brand and “Kate Spade”. I’ve heard of Coach, but have never heard of Kate Spade. They all laughed at me when I asked who Kate Spade was, well, I admit I’m not up to date with fashion; I’m probably 30 years behind! I like purses, but I NEVER spend very much money on one, and since I don’t spend much money on one, I’m able to have more than one. I can’t see any reason for buying those expensive name brand purses, I think it’s ridiculous! I usually only change my purse with the season. I did think I could use a new one for winter, as the one I had last winter, has seen its day. If you buy ones that supposedly never wear out because they cost more, then why would you not use it for years…gosh, you would get tired of it. So, spend less and get to change your purse more often is my theory! In my opinion, just because something costs a lot, does NOT mean it is better. Apparently, not everyone shares my opinion, as the market for "name brand" things is HUGE!

I did buy a purse yesterday, a “Coach”. Never spent that much money for a purse, ever! I spent way too much just to “support her”, and after I bought it, was told when I complained about the price that that same purse would cost over $300 retail. Oh fine, I said, now people who see me with it will mistakenly think I’m rich! That perception is not necessary to me. Actually, I’m sure that what most of my friends will think is that I don’t have my priorities straight! I don’t want people to think either of those things, but most especially that “I don’t have my priorities straight!” Now, today, when I think of this, I’m almost afraid to use the purse! (I’m sorry, if YOU own a Coach or a Kate Spade, I do NOT judge you, because I don't even notice that you have a name brand purse!)

Why are we vulnerable when we go to a “home party”? If she weren't family, I wouldn't have purchased anything at the party. Well, I did show her support! I hope that she recognized and appreciated it! The things we do for family!

Any comments????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>