Sunday, December 10, 2006

Our Christmas Baby - December 10th


Our Christmas Baby
Our Scott is 25 years old today
. 25 - we must now for sure, accept that he is an adult. It's sometimes hard, especially for a Mother, who remembers the baby in her arms, the morning he was born, to think that he could be an adult. It was a very happy morning. 1981 was a very special Christmas for our family. We dressed him in a cute Santa suit, with a Santa hat, took lots of photos. (I should have looked them up and scanned them for this post).

Somethings we have to accept when they become adults. Once again we feel left out as parents, as it seems we are not being included in his birthday celebration. I had asked both of them, two different times this week about them coming for his birthday, or what we were going to do, what plans they had. They both told me “I’ll get back to you”…well… they didn’t. So…I tried to see him today. I stopped up at their apartment after church, to give him our birthday gift and card. When they weren’t home, I drove to Sarah’s parents house, thinking they might be there, but they told me they were out for a late brunch with friends that were in town from Bemidji. (UMD played Bemidji in hockey last night). So, I left his gift and card there…as I know he will get it there later today or this evening I’m sure. I’m trying not to take it personally…getting used to it…I know that he is an adult and his priorities are with Sarah. When he calls to thank us, I will offer that we will take him to lunch or supper sometime this week, so we can "celebrate".

The Christmas that he was born was the very best Christmas I ever had in my married life! Since he was due close to Christmas, I did everything early that year. I had the gifts all wrapped and ready, the tree and house decorated, all my Christmas cards out early. It was also the best Christmas because we knew we would have our third child by the time Christmas came. We were looking forward to him so much, because after 9 years, having a second child (Rob), we enjoyed having a baby in the house again so much, we thought it would be great for Rob to have a brother and sister and another small on in the house. That he/she would come right in time for Christmas was a bonus. We had no preference, boy or girl, but secretly, I did think that a brother for Rob would be great, and nice for two boys to grow up together. They were great pals when they were young, and good company for each other. Little did we know 25 years ago, that these two brothers would be so different, that when they became teenagers, they ceased to be “buddies”. But, I understand that happens with a lot of brothers. I’ve been told that when they become adults they will be as close again as they were when they were young. I’m hoping that day comes. They are adults now, but maybe not “adult enough”? In the meantime, I know they love each other, and accept each other’s differences, and for that we’re grateful.

Happy 25th Birthday to our son!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>