Saturday, June 10, 2006

GOLF

My husband spent most of his life playing baseball and softball. He was still playing on both the fast pitch and the slow pitch leagues when he was in his forties. I think the only reason he quit, was when our sons reached the age to play little league. He then quit playing his own ball games and started watching and helping them play their games. He coached little league for a few years, really enjoyed helping the kids. Helping the boys with their sports and especially with Scott's high school and college baseball, kept him busy and with lots of baseball watching to do throughout the spring and summer. Baseball activites have kind of ended now for him.

He would often talk about hoping that he could retire early, as he had this view that he would not live to be a ripe old age. I keep reminding him that is what his Mother used to say too, and she lived to be 87. Anyhow, I always worried about what he would do to keep physically fit when he became older. A few years ago I spent one and ½ years going faithfully to the gym many times a week, and kept trying to get him to go too. Finally, after about a year and a half of my going, I was able to get him to try it. He started going regularly and became addicted to the exercise. Now, he is the one that has to keep after me to go to the gym!

Every year at Father’s Day I’d ask if he’d like to try golf, told him we could get him a set of clubs. He didn’t think he wanted to "chase the ball around", as he put it, so he always said no. To my surprise, last spring he commented that maybe he would like to try golf. He used our son’s clubs a few times, and decided that yes, he did think he’d enjoy playing golf.

The beginning of a new hobby! Now, this spring, he has his own golf clubs and for Christmas and birthday we got him a season pass to the city courses. Now, I’m not worried about him sitting home and vegetating. I’m so glad he found golf and is enjoying it. Both of our sons play golf too, so it gives him a chance to be with them. (He won't admit it, but I think that was the deciding factor in him trying golf).

Yesterday, he and Rob golfed in our American Cancer Society’s 8th Annual Pink Ribbon Golf Classic at the Black Bear Golf course in Carlton. The proceeds are dedicated to Breast Cancer Research. I’ve been part of helping the committee each year put the event together, since I work for ACS. So, it was a delight that this year two of my family members could golf in it. I joined them for the dinner and program after. They had a good time, though it certainly could have been a nicer day, weather-wise. This year the committee decided to change the date from August to June, hoping more people would be around, since in Duluth so many people are gone in August. Having an outdoor event in June in Duluth is risky… every day this week was warm until yesterday, wouldn’t you know it! It didn’t get much above 60, and there was a cold wind. Those I talked to last evening said they had a great time, in spite of the weather and they would be back next year. That was good to hear.

Dr. Sande, an Oncologist from the Duluth Clinic was our special speaker. He spoke about advances in treatments for cancer and about the new cancer clinic just opened at the Duluth Clinic-SMDC medical facility. St. Luke’s has also opened a cancer center, both have Breast Centers. He said that we are very fortunate here in the Northland to have such good medical facilities for cancer treatments. Years ago, one would have to travel for treatment.

We also had a breast cancer survivor speak about her experience. Dr. Sande is her oncologist. She is a friend of mine, and she did well with her talk. I have seen her grow so much since her cancer experience. She is nearing her 5 year survival mark, and I know that 5 years ago, she would never have spoken in front of anyone. She also is involved with many things now that she would not have imagined doing 5 years ago! I am so proud of her!

The event was a success and enjoyed by all. I don’t golf, so I contributed by making a purchase or two from the Silent Auction of course!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do good work Linda--it has the potential to help so many people. Dr. Sande was our friend's oncologist (the one that just died) and they loved him--he even made house calls at the end.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>