Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sleeping Son

So, Friday evening I came home to find our youngest son asleep on the sofa in the living room. It has been awhile since I’ve seen him, my heart just “skipped a beat” when I saw his car in front of our house. I couldn’t wait for him to wake up. But, I didn’t wake him, I waited. He umpires for Eastern Little League, and the field is closer to our house than to his place, his first game was canceled, so he came home to take a nap before the second game. He told his Dad what time to wake him.

I’ve found from other Mother’s of sons, that it is usual that a Mother doesn’t see their grown son too often once they leave home. This has been a hard adjustment for me to handle over the years. When he graduated from college, a year ago, I thought I’d have my son back, but to no avail. He moved in with his girl friend of 5 years, and though they are here in town, I don’t see them that often. The girlfriend and girlfriend’s family seems to take priority. It’s hard to accept, but I’ve had to accept it. I know that if I were a Mother that laid “guilt” on him, that I would just be one more woman in his life that he would “have to please”, and I don’t want to put added pressure on him. I know I could call him on the phone each day, but again, don’t want to be bothering him when I know he is busy with his job, his girl, his part time job, etc. I have made every effort to convey this to him and when I do, he seems appreciative and he understands. I don’t think he wants a “nagging Mother”, and I have to trust that he knows how much we love him. I have lunch with him on the average of once every other week, when his schedule fits, and that helps. He golfs with his Dad and his brother, so ties are kept with them that way. We just have to find ways to connect with him, and “leave the light” on so he knows he can always come home.

Any comments from Mother’s with grown sons out there?

2 Comments:

Blogger bumblegrum said...

Hi Linda

I'm not a mother but the father of a 33 year old son. He now lives with his partner in a kind of mini "Brady Bunch"; he has two daughters from his first marriage and his partner has twin sons from hers. So they're both very busy with their own lives.

However, David does call round from time to time, usually only for a few minutes to pick up some errant mail, to borrow a DVD, to check out one of his mum's recipes or some such errand. And then my wife says to me, "I do wish David would stay a little longer, so that we could have a good old talk. Like we did when he was at school or first at university".

I guess that's the way it has to be, though. Children leave the nest, then go and build their own nests, and that's a full time occupation. So I tell my wife that she can be proud that she has raised a son with the confidence an ability to stand on his own feet. I've seen the alternative - mothers who need to or choose to "baby" sons in their 30s and 40s. And it's not pretty.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Thank you Andrew for affirming that I am doing the right thing by not "babying" him. Your comment meant a lot to me, thank you! Linda

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>