Monday, April 03, 2006

A Daughter's Dream

I can really relate to my Mother’s dream. For 32 years I had the exact same dream! When Bob and I bought our house here in Duluth, we looked at the kitchen and saw it was very out of date and probably the original to the house that was built in 1914. But, I fell in love with so much else about the house and it’s setting, that I overlooked the kitchen. Like my Mother, I had the dream for 32 years that I wanted a new kitchen. We never had money to update it, so I would just paint every few years. I always wished that I least I could get a new floor and new counter tops…but my husband would say that it wasn’t worth the money to do things like that when what we really needed was a whole new kitchen. So, of course, it kept being put off. We took loans for a new roof, for new porch, new windows, etc. But never felt we could bite off a loan for a new kitchen.

In 2003, I finally convinced Bob that with retirement years coming nearer, that if we ever wanted to sell our house, we would take a huge loss with our kitchen from the 1900’s! Interest rates kept going down, so we took a second mortgage for 5 ¼ % interest (we bought the house in 1969 with a mortgage rate of 7 ½!!!). I finally got my dream – a completely new kitchen. I just love it, just like Mom loved her new one. And, like her, I’m so grateful to have it. I feel sad that I don’t have 3 children at home yet to enjoy it but we have 1 at home out of our three, and so the three of us enjoy it. The other two enjoy it when they come home and they are delighted that their Mom finally got her dream kitchen! Like my Mother, I waited a long time for my dream. I guess I was more patient then some wives would be, because I learned from my Mother to be content. But, I figured after 32 years I was content enough! I love my kitchen and at the same time we
did some other refurbishing of the house, so I am now content with our house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>