Saturday, February 18, 2006

A Scenic Drive

The wind chill was -36 below zero this morning. I slept in! I did hear on the weather that it is very cold other places too, not just Duluth. That’s nice to know, since we get such a bad reputation for cold here.

Last year at this time, Mari Anna, the Income Coordinator in our office gave her notice. She had only been at the job a bit more than 3 months. She was one of the staff that I did support (they call it that these days, instead of secretarial) work for. She called me “her assistant” and told me that if I hadn’t been such a big help to her, that she would not have lasted 3 months. She gave me a gift certificate to a restaurant, as a thank you. It was to a cute little spot up the North Shore of Lake Superior that sits by the lake with a beautiful lake view. I’ve heard about the restaurant, but also heard that it is swamped during tourist season, so I decided to wait till the off season to use it. I realized the other day that it expired on 2/26/06.

I really didn’t want to go out in the cold, but also knew that next weekend we are busy, and evenings are too hectic. So, off to the Scenic Café for lunch! What a beautiful drive it was up the North Shore highway, which runs right by Lake Superior. The sun was shining so beautifully, and the lake just glistened. It was the most beautiful shade of deep blue. It was a delight to behold on a cold winter’s day. We had a great lunch, and we have enough $ left on the gift certificate to go another time. It was a quaint place with homemade food, and a great view. We really enjoyed it, and we will go back!

I must thank Mari Anna for giving us the opportunity to try a new dining spot and for a scenic drive along Lake Superior, at a time of the year that we would never think to do so. Thank you Maria Anna!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lois said...

My mom's sister and her husband came from New Jersey to visit my mom in Rice Lake and then came up to visit us in 1973.
I had so much pleasure in showing them around my adopted city. We also went up the North Shore and up to the Range.
Jeff couldn't figure out how I knew so much about Duluth and this area.
He was born here and I think he just didn't think there was anything special here. I knew better!

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>