Sunday, November 15, 2009

Grandma's Journal - School Days

From Grandma Della's Journal: November 10, 1991

"Good Morning - A bright sunny day. It is now 10 am. What do I have to write about in this nice new book. Mr. Joseph, a cousin and good friend gave me these books to write in. I like to write and tell all I know about our school and Two Churches, all side by side only a road in between them. My Brother in Law and my sister Sara taught us there at the two churches. They were good teachers. The two churches were two separate church buildings. One a Lutheran and the other a Reformed church. I didn't go to the churches, they were also a school, where we went everyday. Some of our parents and friends were teachers, like my sister Dora Smith and sister Sara Powers and brother in laws, Smith and Powers. They were all real good country teachers. And I went to school with them. I got along fine with them. I was a county champion speller. I studied hard, and went regularly to school."

We had good teachers and had lots of good times. Now I can write about what good times we had, playing ball, Friday evenings, and we had programs singing and reciting and invited the parents to come and listen to us sing and recite.

I liked spelling and was one of the county's best spellers. Now I can still spell. All those big words we used to have, I used to study hard. I believe I can spell them yet, but I am not so sure. I will not try today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>