Monday, September 07, 2009

Family Reunions

I called each of my siblings today in Pennsylvania. They must have all been out having lots of fun on Labor Day, because none of them were home! I am starting to feel homesick, since I haven't been home since last November. I am planning to fly home on Christmas Day, because my niece, Lisa is getting married on the 26th. I wanted to get home this past spring or early summer, but it didn't happen, so now it will have been a long stretch from Nov. '08 to Dec.'09. I've been searching for reasonable airfares, but haven't found any, and since I will be flying over the holidays, I'm thinking I shouldn't wait too long to buy my ticket, although my son-in-law, pilot, says fares will soon be going down.

Recently I received a letter from a second cousin on my Mother's side, that I haven't seen in probably 40 years! It was so so good to hear from him! Every second Sunday in August, my Mother's relatives on her Dad's side, have a reunion picnic in a beautiful park, always same place and always the same Sunday, so that people can always have it on their calendar. When Leon and I were young, there were always a lot of people at this gathering. Two years ago, two of my brothers and my sister, went for the first time in a long while. I'm not sure if they went this year, (I keep forgetting to ask them), but Leon wrote that the attendance was small, and it gets smaller every year. He said they talk each year about whether they should keep it going.This is what I wrote back to him about it today:"Concerning the Reunion... you must encourage those that attend, to keep it going because I
believe that the younger generation that aren't interested now, will some day, when they are
older, be interested. I don't know if any of my brothers or my sister were there this year,
but they were there last year, and they are starting to become more interested in reunions and
keeping connections more than they used to be. Our Mother's family (on her Mother's side) is
going through this, and I notice that once of my second cousins about 10 younger than me has
taken over the secretary position from my Uncle, so there is hope there! They keep plugging away,
and celebrated 50 years of getting together, a few years ago.

On My Dad's side - they used to have a reunion until his Aunts and Uncles all were gone, and none
of his brothers or sisters or cousins would step up to the plate and help, so it eventually fizzled
out...so so sad. So, please keep it going, if only for those that come and enjoy it now.

I am very family oriented, and it has a lot to do with all the reunions that I attended with my
parents each summer! I got to know my great aunts and uncles, my first,second and third cousins,
us kids had so much fun and such great memories.

Just think, most of our children's generation have not grown up with family reunions, like I did, and they
are missing so much. If your family still is one that gets together each year for a big reunion, of more
than your immediate family, please encourage them to keep it going, even if the attendance wanes for a few
years! Those once a year connections are important!

"Claim the Love" of family!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>