Thursday, March 05, 2009

Bridal Shower

Last weekend was a fun weekend for me. Our daughter was in Duluth Saturday and Sunday, and she came up alone. It was nice to have undivided time with her, more Mother/Daughter time. She was also able to connect with one of her high school friends who she doesn't get to see very often. I know it was a good weekend for her also.

On Sunday she and I attended the Bridal Shower for our daughter-in-law to be and her sister-in-law to be. It was a big shower...over 50 women...held at a restaurant banquet room. Very fancy, very nice. The lady who gave the shower did a very nice job. Sarah got many very nice gifts! Since she and our son have been together for 8 years, and have their home already, most everyone gave her china, crystal and flatware that she had register for. She made out well!

About showers in Minnesota. Soon after I came here, 39 years ago, I attended a bridal shower with my Mother in Law. I was very surprised! It was held in a large VFW Hall, and there were at least 80 in attendance. The gifts were "big ticket" items, like what we would give for wedding gifts back in my little town in SE Pennsylvania! I was told that in Duluth, the bride usually only had one shower, and most of the time they were big ones. Wow! Back home we had small, intimate showers, with 10-15 women at the most. Often the bride to be was given more than one shower, by different groups of friends or relatives. The gifts would be tea towels, small kitchen items, tupperware items, etc. Nothing like "big ticket" items! Often the showers had themes, like a "kitchen shower" or a "personal shower". I was fortunate enough to have been given two showers, one with friends and one with aunts, cousins and family. One of my showers was a "personal shower", that kind is always fun!

Oh, one more difference between showers in PA and showers in MN.... in PA the showers were ALWAYS "surprise showers"....the hostess and attendees always strive to be sure the bride is SURPRISED! Here, the bride knows ahead of time....the surprise aspect was half the FUN!

Sarah's shower was definitely a Minnesota shower....but it was very nice, and I appreciated all the work that went into it, to make for a lovely Sunday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>