Monday, February 19, 2007

Dinner with Friends


What fun last evening! This is the second Sunday in a row that I cooked a big meal. Since Bob has been retired, he has taken up a lot of the daily cooking while I am working during the day, and on weekends, since I can’t eat a whole lot, I haven’t felt much like cooking. I got myself back in practice the last two Sundays. Last Sunday we had our youngest son for dinner. Our friends, who are spending the winter in Florida, took her Mother with them when they went down after Christmas. On Thursday, Bill brought his Mother in Law back home, they flew into town. His wife stayed in Florida. I invited him to come yesterday and made dinner for him. As I was mashing the potatoes, I happened to think of my friend Sharon, who was working all afternoon, and her husband coming home from Ely, without a supper waiting for him. So, I called and invited them to join us. We had a good evening, a nice visit, and it was good to know that even when you out of practice, one can still put together a good meal for friends. I really need to do it more often. It’s much easier too, now that I have a remodeled kitchen, with even a dishwasher, after 32 years of working in an outdated kitchen it really is great.

Bill is the friend whose Florida home we will be visiting in April. They have wanted us to come down and visit them, and after he was down there, he kept calling Bob and asking if we had out tickets yet! So, we will be going the last week of April. We’ve never been to Florida. He is already trying to sell us on getting a place down there for our retirement winters. I think it will be a hard sell for me. Florida and Arizona are the two states that so many of our Duluthian retirees flock to in the winter months. I guess we’ll see what we think of Florida when we visit them in April. Bob has a cousin who lives in Arizona, next winter we hope to visit them and see what Arizona is like. I would tend to want to go to PA in the winter, since their winters are milder, and I’d like to be with family. However, the last few years, their winters seem to be more like ours, because ours are getting milder.

Last week I wouldn’t have wanted to be in PA. They had a couple of days of nothing but ice, sleet and more ice over their snow fall. Icy roads, my sister didn’t go to work one day due to the ice, and on Thursday when I talked to her, their driveway was still a sheet of ice. They had a rough week, a lot rougher than ours!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>