Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Would you do it Again?

Would you Do it Again?
Last week I heard a study that was done through one of the women's magazines, asking that "if you had it to do over again would you marry the same man?" The results were that a lot of the women who responded said that they would not. Then tonight on the way home, I heard there was a study taken from 2005 census in the Times Newspaper that found that there are now more women living WITHOUT a spouse, than those living with spouses! Wow! Earlier some friends and I were talking about the hard times that young married couples have these days with dealing with all the changes that come about in their lives after they have children, especially the economy being that so many need to be in the work force. (However, I don't think we can just say it has to do with being employed alone) In fact we even decided we would pray this week for all those raising children, with or without spouses.

Now after 37 years of marriage, if someone asked me if I would marry the same man today, I would definitely say yes, of course I would. However, during the time of my life when I was
employed out of the home and raising children, dealing with not enough money and the hectic life you have with children, I'm not sure at that time if I would have been so quick to answer yes. Fortunately I had friends who were married with children like myself, and knowing I wasn't alone, and that other women were going through what I was, that is what got me through those years. We stuck it out through the hard times, as our marriage vows said, and now we are in the good times, but sticking it out wasn't always easy. In fact somedays it was "darn hard!"

If we can give advice in our older age to our children who are stuggling with their younger marriage years, and raising children, I think we should tell them to always remember "This too, shall pass" and there will come a time when life will not be "this hard". An older friend of mine, when I was a young wife once told me that there are "seasons in each life" and we move from one season to the next, each season is different, and each season has its good times and its bad, but remember, a new season is on the horizon! We need to remember the good times from each season, and the bad times will eventually fade away with time if we don't dwell on them.

Ask that question of me right now and my answer is YES! I am in a new season right now, and looking forward to the next season to come. I am learning to treasure each season, and the memorys of seasons past.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda,
I came across your BLOG while I was waiting for something for work to download. I have to say that your note today struck a chord with me. The fatigue of having a preschooler and a baby right now are starting to catch up on me. Maybe, I'll make a little note to hang in their room to remind myself "this too will pass". So when I wake at 3 a.m. I don't get frustrated and when we snuggle before bed I'll remember to appreciate their feety-jammies and warm hugs. I was actually about to call and cancel a lunch-date with my husband because I thought I had too much work to do today. I think I better keep that date.
Thanks.
Kim (a friend of Becca's)

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, thanks for telling me my short hair looks good.

It sounds (or reads actually) like you're a Christian. I bet that having a relationship with Jesus also helped you a lot through your early years of marriage. I believe that the reason why so many marriages fail today is because people don't have a relationship with Him. Even the ones who do, don't nurture that relationship.

So many- well, actually all- of our problems and struggles have answers. And those answers are in the Bible. I love 1 Corinthians 7. If more Christians would read that chapter, they wouldn't be so hasty to end a marriage.

Thanks for being an encourager. God bless you as you seek Him.

Cynthia

12:20 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Thank you Kim and Cynthia for your comments. I'm glad I was able to encourage both of you, but each of you have encouraged me also!

Yes, Cynthia, you are right on all your comments and Kim, I'm so glad that you kept your lunch date with your husband! Continue to put time away for the two of you, it is important that you have "together" time, it's precious! I wish the best to both of you!

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>