Friday, September 22, 2006

Eyewitness Report

Eyewitness Report
My friends Jim and Peg were two of the Ambassadors representing our legislative district at the Celebration on the Hill in Washington, DC., along with Joe, Larry and Diane. This is an excerpt from Peg's blog (she will be writing more, I have her blog on my link). This is from her first post, describing Wednesday's activities:

-"On Wednesday we manned the Minnesota tent at 7:00 a.m., we took a cab over to the Celebration on the Hill event in front of the reflecting pond, in front of the Capitol. There was a tent for every state. Our theme was the Land of 10,000 lakes. Did some of those people decorate their tents or what? Many tents had games or free give aways. I was touched by one tent that had their own memory wall of people who died of cancer in their state with pictures and stories of those who are still living. The signatures from all across the United States covered many, many blocks with pictures and large stories of individuals who had died of cancer.
It was very touching, and sometimes hard to read. I felt at times that we were in our own personal holocaust.

-I did the Survivors Lap with Larry at 10:00 a.m. as we needed to meet with our represenative in the afternoon. We walked by states around the reflecting pond. I cried half way around the pond as people cheered in celebration for our lives and tried to shake our hands,touch us to give us hope and strength, and give us the high five. I cried for those struggling with cancer, those who died, and all the ages of people with cancer. I cried for Arlie who lost her life to metastic liver cancer, for Joyces's sister in law, who read my book 2 times, who died of breast cancer. I cried for Faye, I cried for Dr. Young, newly diagnoised with liver cancer, I cried for the people I met who shared their stories. It was so touching. I felt embarassed that I couldn't control my emotions. The media was everywhere and the cameras were flashing. I am so hoping I am not in any of those pictures. I lost it by the end." -- Peggy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>