Thursday, May 25, 2006

May 24th - Dylan is 65


Wow, talk about making us “Baby Boomers” feel old. I just heard that it is Bob Dylan’s birthday today and that he is 65 years old. I can’t believe it! I knew he was a bit older than Bob and I, but to think that he has reached “retirement age” is something! But then, I can’t believe that we are so close to age 60 and 62. As a teen in the 60’s, I purchased one or more of his recordings.

Those of you that are not in Minnesota, you may not know that his roots are in Northern Minnesota. He was born and lived in Duluth in his early years, then the family moved north to the “range”, to the town of Hibbing where he went to school and grew up.

On Monday night the Duluth City Council voted to give honorary designation of Bob Dylan’s name to 1.8 miles of roadways in downtown Duluth, from the Depot at 5th Avenue, along Michigan Street to Superior Street and ending at London Road on 15th Avenue East. London Road is the beginning of Minnesota Highway 61, the same highway that Dylan named his “Highway 61 Revisited” after. The streets will not be re-named, but additional signs will indicate his honor.

Seeing the celebrities that we grew up with, age makes each of us realize that we are aging. Oh my….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>