Monday, May 25, 2009

A Day to Remember...















Last evening Bob, Rob and I went to Calvary Cemetary to visit grave sites of his family. They are all at Calvary, except for one Aunt, who is at Park Hill with her husband. We said a prayer over each, and spoke of how much we miss each of them. We spread some of his sister Carmella's ashes, who passed away in November, over his Mother's grave site. She had instructed her husband to have Bob do that in the spring. (the rest of them are with her husband in California). We couldn't find the graves of his brother and sister, who both were under age one when they died, Thomas and Dorothy. One of phneumonia, and one of a heart problem. They were born when Carmella was small, but before Bob was born. I remember that Mother Pugliese would have trouble every year finding their sites, but we always searched until we found them.... we gave up the search yesterday, I hope Dolly will forgive us. We always took his Mother to Calvary each Memorial Day weekend. She told us that when "I'm gone, this will be your responsibility to do."

We also remember those soldiers who fought for us in the military. And, though I'm not back in PA to visit their graves, I also remember my Mother, Dad, brother, grandparents and Aunts and Uncles that we have lost over the years.

Mom, Dad, brother Jerry, Mother Pugliese, Bob's Aunties: Rose, Mary, Mae, Louisa, Helen, Uncle Tom, his cousins Tommy, Carl, Sammy, Florence, Francie, Rose; my Aunts and Uncles that are gone: Aunt Nancy, Uncle Dick, Uncle Stan, Uncle Bill, Grandma and Grandpa Ebersole, Grandma and Maurice Gochnauer, So many Wiley Great Aunts and Uncles, So many Ebersole Great Aunts and Uncles, cousin Ronald, and many loved friends both in PA and here in MN, Helena and Flick, Ruth, Blanche, just to name a few of many...

I visit my Mother and Dad's and brother and try to get to my Grandparents grave sites when I go back home. Even though, I believe as my Mother always did, that as long as you have them in your hearts, all year long, it's not necessary to visit the gravesite. She always said "only their body is there, not them... so just keep them in your heart". But, I do believe that it doesn't hurt, out of respect to visit them over Memorial Day. It's for the "respect", that my Mother in law did this.

We don't just remember these loved ones on Memorial Day, but all through the year, we don't have to go to their grave site in order to remember, honor and respect them.

Take time to remember your loved ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>