Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Boleyn Girl


You’ll probably remember that I wrote a while back about watching the Showtime series “The Tudors” on cable. The Tudors series was about King Henry VIII’s court in England.

When I spotted the book “The Other Boleyn Girl” at Target, it immediately caught my attention, after seeing the Tudor series. I also noted the sign on the cover saying it would soon be a “major motion picture”. So, of course I had to purchase it. I started reading it, and it kept getting better and better the more I read it. By the time I was half way through it, I had to keep reading it every night (which is why I haven’t been blogging). I had to take it to work with me this week and read it during my lunch break every day. I only had about 20 pages left when I got home tonight, and I finished it about 10 minutes ago.

It’s been at least 15 years since I have read any historical fiction type books. I remember now that I used to like to read them. The most interesting one I read was about Mary, Queen of Scots, who was imprisoned by her cousin, Elizabeth I, (Ann Boleyn’s daughter).

On Sunday a friend and I went to see the movie that this book is based on, by the same name. It was very good, and we really enjoyed it. I thought it was safe to see the movie before finishing the book, because it being based on history, I knew how it would end!

I highly recommend both the book and the movie. Of course, if you are a reader, you know that the book is always better than the movie. This is the case with this book also. The movie followed the book pretty good, but you can’t get all the background, details and descriptive writing into the movie. I notice that this author, Philippa Gregory, has a lot of other historical fiction books published. They all look like they are 500 pages or more also, so I better take a break, before I get involved in another of her books. I'm tempted to read some more of them though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>