Wednesday, January 30, 2008

THE TUDORS


(See "Relaxing Day" post below)
"The Tudors"
It was an interesting series. It was about King Henry VII. The series had a very handsome man playing the King. Now, I thought this was funny because every photo of King Henry that I’ve ever seen has him looking very heavy and not very handsome. Don’t you remember when you were growing up hearing about him and all his wives, how when you saw pictures of him, you wondered how he could attract that many women? But, then I did some searching on the internet and read more about him, and discovered that he became King at age of 18. Well, these stories I was watching were about him when he was in his 20’s and early 30’s, so I guess he could have been a handsome man then. The biography states that he was very athletic and was an avid sportsman in every sport. It got me interested to do a search and read about Anne Boleyn, and Henry’s other 6 wives. The series had beautiful actresses playing the parts of Katherine and Anne, but when I looked up photos of them, neither of them looked too beautiful. It even said about Anne, that other than her eyes and her brunette hair, she was not all that beautiful. I guess, that’s why when I see a movie about a historical figure, I like to read up on them, to see how accurate the movie is.

I learned a lot from the series and from my reading that I didn’t really understand before, concerning the King’s part in the reformation, the break from the Catholic church and the beginnings of Protestant movement…the reformation was beginning, but the King’s insistence that he get a “divorce”, truly did make the reformation come sooner!

Did you know that Henry was being prepared for the church until his brother Arthur passed away? Did you know that he fought with the church for 7 years trying to get them to sanction a divorce, during which time he wanted Anne to be his mistress, but she refused. She insisted on marriage and would not be his mistress. (No wonder he fought so hard for that divorce!) Due to his Catholic roots, he was more monogamous than most kings, he did not have the amount of mistresses as many kings in his day did. Did you know that his first wife, Katharine, was the daughter of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain? And, of course, I’m sure you know that Queen Elizabeth I, who ruled for 40 years, was the daughter of King Henry and Anne Boleyn. I’ll have to do some more reading to find out just why after only 3 years of marriage, he had Anne beheaded, his daughter Elizabeth was only 2 years old then, she didn’t even remember her Mother. How sad. All very interesting to me.
Note: the photo I posted of the King, is one of the few that I found showing him as a young man, and believe me, the actor who portrayed him was MUCH more handsome than this! But, then, would a movie really have an actor who wasn't good looking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>