Friday, December 21, 2007

The Little Things at Christmas Season

There was an article in the News Tribune by Garrison Keillor saying that the best thing about Christmas is it’s not about us. He’s right. It’s not about us. I realized this especially this year, when I had decided that I wouldn’t send Christmas cards, and I decided not to buy as many gifts.

I was wondering why I have been feeling so down the last few weeks about the up coming season. I realize this week why. It's because I was thinking of myself and not of others. No wonder I couldn't get in the spirit. I have changed my tune on the cards. I decided it wouldn’t be Christmas without touching out to OTHERS. I also bought small gifts for some people I wasn’t necessarily planning to buy for, like my daughter’s best friend (I’m so thankful Dawn has her), another friend who gives us advice throughout the year with our 401-K plan, at no cost to us, people, and a few others. I realized when I was shopping for the others, and thinking of them, and choosing what would be best for them, that I was happy (even though I'm not a shopper, it did please me when I thought I chose a good gift).

And, when my cards went out today, I felt so happy. I felt that “Now I am ready for Christmas”!
I came home and wrapped the gifts I purchased to take to our daughters tomorrow. I didn’t spend a lot of money on them, but I was very thoughtful about what I purchased, trying to get them each “something special”. My co/workers at work, we always exchange very small, inexpensive gifts, and it’s always fun to see how creative, without spending much money, we all are each year. It’s just fun to see little “gifts” show up on our desk in the mornings, throughout the last two weeks. I was happy with what I found for them this year, and it was fun looking for just the right things.

Then, our Disciple Covenant group, Tuesday night, we ate together and we each gave out small, creative, beautiful things to each other. We could tell that each gift was chosen with a lot of thought. One of the girls writes poems, and wrote us a beautiful poem on a beautiful hand made card. It’s something we will hang up and treasure. Another gave us each a lovely candle and yum, yum, candy; and the gal that makes jewelry, we were thrilled to each get a pair of earrings from her…all the same. I gave a small Christmas Cross charm that I chose carefully, and looked a long time to find just what I thought they would like. Shopping for them was fun. Also, a pack of note cards, with the most beautiful photos on them, lovingly handcrafted by the giver. One of the girls read “The Candy Makers Gift” story to us, then gave us the most beautiful large, old fashioned candy cane. Then, our newest member, took a photo when we were visiting Michelle in St. Paul in October, of all of us original group with Michelle. She gave us each a copy of the photo in a framed Christmas card. How special! All of these gifts were given with love and much thought, I don’t think any one of them cost over a few dollars. Gifts do not need to be expensive to be meaningful. We must not forget this fact! It’s the little things that count!

After I learned this week, what I had forgotten, that indeed, “Christmas is not about us”, I have been feeling so much better. I’m in the Christmas Spirit, I am ready! Christmas is about giving to our dear ones, in the spirit of the Christ Child, as God gave to us. It is about kindness to others, keeping in touch with others, about putting together a “Christmas Bag” for Life House Teens, giving needed socks to CHUM, giving donations to those that are in need. Yes, Christmas is in the “Little things, and it’s about OTHERS.” Next year I won’t forget that, and I’m so glad I was reminded this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>