Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Visiting Parents - I Could Relate

My supervisor's home state is California. She and her family have lived here in Duluth a few years, but her parents and relatives live in California. Today she was very excited. Her parents were flying into the Mpls. airport and driving to Duluth, they would be at her home when she arrived there after work. She was trying to finish early, as she is taking tomorrow and Friday off to be with her parents. It was 4:15, and I thought she had left. She was still there. She was very happy and excited knowing she would see her parents very soon. I could relate to the excitement she had all week and especially today, because I remember many days where I was working at my place of employment, knowing that my parents were enroute from Pennsylvania to see us. I remember how excited I always was on those days.

My parents always drove here, they never flew. I knew when they left the farm, and I waited anxiously for their trek across the states to Duluth! Knowing Kim would see her parents upon her return home after work reminded me of one specific time when I was waiting for my parents. I was working at Northern City Bank, downtown. I carpooled with my husband, so I would wait outside of the building at 306 W. Superior St., and hop in the car when my husband would arrive, so I was always on the lookout for his car. It was a Friday and I knew my parents were on their way, but didn't expect them to arrive until later that evening. I was excited all week and especially that day at work, I was really excited to see them. While I was standing on the street watching for my husband to get there, I saw my parents station wagon drive by, oh my gosh, was that exciting! When my husband pulled up to pick me up, I couldn't get him to drive fast enough through downtown and up the hill to our home! Those were the days before the freeway and downtown traffic was slow moving at that time of day. Listening to Kim's excitement today, brought back those good memories.

That time was the trip where they brought along a couple with them that lived close by us, and were good friends of my parents and family, Lloyd and Hazel. Lloyd worked the night shift at Allis Chalmers with my Dad, and was also a farmer. Their son was in the service in Minot, N. Dakota, so my parents offered to bring them along, and then my Dad took them to N. D. to see him. Lloyd was a 4-H leader, along with my Dad, and so it was real special for me to have them visit us too, as he used to be "my 4-H Leader". Our daughter really took a liking to him and called him her "second Grandpa". He was a wonderful man. His wife is still living, and I visit her on some of my trips home. We lost Lloyd to cancer a few years before we lost Dad. I will never forget the guidance he gave to me and so many young people through the 4 H program, he was very special.

Waiting for Mom and Dad to arrive in Duluth was a very special time of excitement for me, and I am very thankful that they were able to get to Duluth as often as they did. Wonderful memories Mom and Dad's visits. Mom always told me "we will come out to see you while we are able, because the time will come, when we will not be able to come (travel)"...and they did come, and the time did come (sooner than I wanted it to) when they couldn't...so we remember all the good times when they were with us here in Duluth.... Thank you Mom and Dad for those great memories!!! Enjoy your parents visit, Kim!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>