Wednesday, June 27, 2007

30 years ago today....


30 years ago this morning, mining heiress Elisabeth Congdon, 83, was found dead in her ancestral 39 room mansion on London Road, here in Duluth. She had been smothered with a pillow during the night. Her night nurse was found on a stair landing, bludgeoned to death with a candlestick, after fighting with her attacker. It has been a fascinating mystery story. John DeSanto was the Chief Prosecutor who prosecuted the case in 1977 he contributed to a book written about the murders “Will to Murder”. There was also another book written called “Secrets of the Congdon Mansion. Elisabeth Congdon was the “last vestige” of a noble family. Her family helped to build this city. So, it was a real shock to everyone when these murders happened. I just can hardly believe that 30 years has passed since then!

Glensheen and its grounds were deeded to the University of Minnesota Duluth, upon Elisabeth’s death. The mansion was opened for tours in 1979. To the credit of the University, they do not market the murders. They feel that the home itself is one the most “amazing in the Midwest”, they don’t need to market it. The guides until around 2000 didn’t talk at all about the murders, even if they were asked. However, this caused a lot of rumors and exaggerations so, now they do sell both of the books in their Glensheen bookstore. The guides still do not bring the murders up, unless they are questioned about it, then they down play it.

In January of 1981 my cousin came to visit us from Pennsylvania. It was my first tour of the mansion when I took her there. It is a beautiful home, built between 1905 - 1908. It has a lot of history and is very interesting to see. After seeing it, every time company came from home (PA), I made sure I took them for the mansion tour. Finally, after seeing the tour for what seemed like the millionth time, I started dropping them off and picking them up. I started feel like I could be the tour guide! It is a lovely mansion. So, if you visit Duluth in the future and or haven’t seen it and you live here, stop down for the tour. It’s well worth your time.

A funny note: When my Dad saw the mansion, (my Dad a poor farmer) his comment was that the "people that built this house had more money than they knew what to do with"!! I always remember my Dad saying that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>