Sunday, June 24, 2007

Mini Culuniary Adventure

Sushi has come to Duluth. It’s been here for a year or so, at a restaurant by the Mall. Now it is showing up at Cub Foods and Mt. Royal Fine Foods Grocery stores. Our oldest son loves it and he is always telling me I should taste it. Now, I am a person who usually likes to experiment with food and taste new foods. However, I have been resisting for years tasting it because I know it involves RAW Fish. I just cannot bring myself to eat raw fish. Many years ago I tasted oysters on the half shell, they are raw, and had a very hard time getting them down. Raw fish and meat just does not appeal to me.

The restaurant by the mall, used to be a fast food burger place. It was remodeled and opened as the Zen Restaurant. Rob (our son) has been there with friends, and when his nephew is in town, they go there. Rob has always tried to get Bob and I go with him. Bob absolutely will not try it (he’s not adventurous when it comes to food). I told him sometime I would go with him, but have really resisted going, because I just know I don’t like Sushi (you know that old saying, don’t like it, never tasted it!). Well last night he called me on going with him, and wanted me to meet him there this evening when he was done with work. I couldn’t put it off any longer. I knew he would pursue me until I said yes. He told me they had other things besides sushi, so I looked at the menu… wasn’t sure what to order. He made several suggestions. He wanted me to try things like “California roll and Cucumber rolls, which he promised did not have any raw fish in. So, we got a plate with California and cucumber rolls and a tuna rolls. He ate the raw tuna rolls and I ate the California (avocado and cucumber) and cucumber rolls. I did think these were pretty good. They aren’t something though, that I think I will crave for in the future, something that I “just think I have to have”. I ordered Japanese Roast pork with vegetables and egg noodles. It had a lot of sliced roast pork, which was good, and the noodles were tender with a good flavor, it was a large plate, so I have some to take for lunch tomorrow.

He ordered sushi which was spicy yellow tail (raw). He wanted me to taste it, but I resisted. He had me taste the “wasabi” and thankfully I only took a smidgen…boy did my mouth burn, then he tells me it’s “Japanese Horseradish”. Gee, I don’t even like American Horseradish!

One thing I really liked about the restaurant was that it was quiet and peaceful, and it was decorated to make you feel peaceful. That I liked. We were able to visit and we had an enjoyable supper and visit together. I will be more willing now to go there with him, but I still will not be willing to taste the “raw stuff”! Thanks, Rob, for the “mini culinary” adventure.

Zen House Japanese Restaurant4147 Haines RoadHermantown, MN 55811(218) 722-9365Fax: (218) 722-9369yholt515@hotmail.comhttp://www.zen-ico.com Zen House is the northland’s only authentic Japanese Restaurant, serving a full menu of Japanese dinners, sushi, sashimi and sake. We bring a real taste of the art of Japanese cooking to Hermantown, MN using only the freshest ingredients. Many patrons describe the sushi as being on a par with any from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Chicago. Conveniently located near the Miller Hill Mall.

PS...when my brother in law comes from CA in August for his wife's 50th class reunion, we will take them to the Zen House. Masa is Japanese, and he is the one that introduced Rob to sushi when he visited them. They will be impressed that Duluth has its own Japanese Restaurant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>