Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Flat Madelyn Visits

We received a thick envelope in our mail today. It was addressed to Grandma and Grandpa. It was exciting to see what was inside. Our Granddaughter Madelyn sent us a cute note she wrote herself, she is in first grade. Along with her note was a “Flat Madelyn”. Her class read a story about "Flat Stanley", a boy who was flattened by a board. Because he was so flat he could slip under doors, be flown as a kite and take trips in an envelope. Madelyn and her classmates made a “Flat Stanley” (with a photo of their face, instead of Stanley’s) and their teacher asked them to send it somewhere in the world for a visit. Madelyn chose Grandma and Grandpa in Duluth. We are to show “Flat Madelyn” around Duluth, have her experience life here for three days. Then we are to send her back to Hudson with a letter telling what “Flat Madelyn” experienced.

It was explained that Flat Madelyn may not be dressed appropriately, if she’s never traveled here before. I note that she has a dress on, I’m sure my granddaughter isn’t thinking we have snow here in April. The first thing Grandma needs to do is to add a coat, for her trip downtown with Grandma tomorrow, since we have snow.

One thing I’m a little confused about, the letter calls him “Flat Stanley”, but the face is Madelyn’s. She called me tonight to see if I received it, and I told her I received “Flat Stanley”, and she corrected me and said “it’s Flat Madelyn”. So, that’s why I’m referring my cute Flat Stanley, as “Flat Madelyn”. Whether the name is Stanley, or Madelyn, doesn’t matter. I will be taking “Flat Madelyn” to work tomorrow and show her around my work area, and around downtown Duluth. What fun it will be to show her around town. I will refer to my tourist post last week, to be sure I don’t miss any of our city highlights! I guess this means I can slide Flat Madelyn under the door to Glensheen and the Depot, and bypass the entrance fees, right?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>