Sunday, March 25, 2007

Joining the Tourists

Yesterday was a beautiful day, it hit 62 degrees. We still have ice and snow, so that 62 degrees and sun was sure welcome!

My husband is happier these days, his bad back is healing and is doing better each day, just as I am healing and doing better each day. I have one area under my rib that still is quite sore. I’m thinking it’s the area where maybe they had to move things around and pull on muscles; it’s the side that has always hurt the most.

I haven’t written much the last few days, they have gone by fast. I will be back to work before I know it at this rate. I have been taking time every day and walking, which is part of my recovery plan. Yesterday was particular beautiful for walking. I walked two and ½ blocks here in Woodland at 10:30 am when it was sunny and almost 60 degrees. The weatherman said it would be the warmest and nicest day of the year so far. And, it was. I thought I’d better get out and take advantage of it, since today was to be rainy (and it is). At 1:00 I took a drive downtown to Canal Park and decided I would beat the tourists rush. It was 62 degrees when I left our neighborhood, and as I got closer to Lake Superior, the temperature steadily dropped (there is an outside weather temp thing on my car dashboard). By the time I got there it was 55 degrees, but that was still very nice, since it was sunny and calm. I was wrong when I thought I would beat the tourists. Both lots by the canal were jammed full of cars. I could barely find a spot to park, had to wait till someone was leaving. There were so many people there, oh my. A few weeks ago after that first snow, I stopped down there and there wasn’t one person there! The canal walk way was full, the Marine Museum had just opened, so there were people in there, and the lakewalk was very busy. I went into the Museum, but didn’t stay because I had my prescription sunglasses on, though I would have liked to, as it’s probably been 5 years since I’ve seen the museum. I did take time though to look at the guest book they had there. Lots of signatures, and they were from all over, the majority from southern Minnesota and the twin cities area, however, there was one from Belgian, and quite a few from other states, that told me that most of these people milling around, were tourists, not locals. I walked on the canal walk, going under the aerial lift bridge to the other end. The walk out to the lighthouse wasn’t open yet, so I walked on the canal walk the other direction, going under the aerial lift bridge, hearing the cars passing above. I went to that end and stood and looked at the harbor, and the hillside. The hillside looked so brown and blah…and I was thinking that in a month or so, when the green comes out, it will look so much nicer. The lake still has a lot of ice, but not enough to keep the boats from coming. One person told me that there was a ship that had gone through the canal into the harbor around 11:30. I saw the coast guard cutter ship that breaks up the ice so the ships can get through. There were some people walking on the ice, I certainly would not do that!

After the canal and the museum, I took a walk on the lakewalk that goes by the water. I was pleased that I walked pretty darn far without huffing and puffing, the surgery has helped eliminate the huffing and puffing, thank goodness…I am able to walk and breathe so much better. When I went to leave, I had to go out the in entrance because there was a snow drift by the exit lane,that you couldn’t get over. I heard someone complain to a car going out the in entrance lane that they were going the wrong way. I saw more than one car going the “wrong way”, when I walked over to the lakewalk I saw the problem. So, as I was going out, an irritated looking driver trying to come in, I rolled my window down and explained why I was going the wrong way. I felt the “need to explain” why I was going the wrong way.


I took my camera along and took some photos, dropped them for processing on the way home, so when I get them back I will post some of them.

Today is sure a different day than yesterday, we had rain early this morning and now it is very, very foggy. I did get to church this morning, it was good to see friends again and worship. I’m making a beef roast for supper, and going to make mashed potatoes and gravy with it. I’m hoping that I will be able to eat some of the beef, along with the mashed potatoes and gravy. Eating a little more normally each day, alleluia! People have been telling me that I sound better, apparently my condition was what gave me the raspy sounding voice, and now that too, is gone.
I've found out that this condition caused a lot more problems than just swallowing.

Photo Credit: Jonathan Lund

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>