Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Recuperating - March 20, 2007

March 20, 2007 – Recuperating

10 days have passed since my surgery. The Heller Myotomy, for treatment of my condition of achalasia and a Trocar Fundoplication is that is what I had on Friday, March 9th. This was to treat my achalasia, which is an esophageal motility disorder. This morning is the first morning that I awoke before 8 am. I woke up feeling pretty darn good too! Laparoscopic surgery is sure a lot better than full invasive surgery when it comes to recovery time, 5 small incisions in the abdominal wall. I couldn’t believe on Friday that I was moving around and doing so well after just a week. I’m so thankful for the Dr. that came up with the laparoscopic method for this procedure in 1991. Thank you doctor!

I am eating a large variety of soft foods now (I refuse to eat any soup or jello, that I lived on for so long before the surgery) so far, so good. I haven’t taken any of the strong pain medication since Friday. I’m still a bit sore through the middle, but nothing like it was, and my chest pain I had the first 5-6 days is completely gone. A week ago today, I started taking short walks on my block, going a little further each day, worked my way to walking around the whole block. My discharge papers stated “no restrictions”, so I figured that meant that I could drive when I felt good enough. So on Saturday, I made a jaunt to the video store and also stopped at the grocery store, for just a few “soft” things, I was really craving for protein! On Sunday I went to the fitness center and walked a mile on the track with a friend.

Yesterday I went to the mall to walk. I have not been to the inside of the mall, I bet in over 2 years. I’m not a shopper, so when I need to go to a store there, I park right by where that store is, go into that store and never set foot in the mall. So, since it was so windy yesterday, I thought the mall would be a good place to walk. I was told that if I walked every day that would speed my recovery. I walked around and around, looking at the stores, seeing stores I didn’t know were there, and surprised at the stores that were gone since I’d been there.

My friend’s sister, who doesn’t live in Duluth, had major surgery last Tuesday here in Duluth and is staying at my friend’s house to recover. This morning I am taking her to the clinic to get her blood checked, Sharon has an important meeting at work, and I had told her previously that if there was something I could help her with, with her sister to let me know, so I got the call to help. I have met her sister several times, she’s a darling, and I’m so glad I am able to help her. Sharon gave me strict instructions to be careful when we walked, with some of the streets being slippery. I will really feel like I’m well on my way to recovery when I’m helping someone else in their recovery!

Below’s post tells about my surgery. Thank you again to each of you that kept me in your prayers and thoughts. It was a tremendous help to me, I know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>