Sunday, February 25, 2007

They Don't Make Movies Like They Used To


It has stopped snowing a bit ago. They say we got 10-11 inches, up here in the snow-belt we got over a foot. The guys are back outside doing more snow-blowing. I guess I am lucky that Rob is here too, or I would be out there with Bob. The two of them have it pretty well under control, don’t think they need me. It’s 5 pm, and the snow plow has still not come by our street. Our neighbors left on Friday to Arizona for a get-a-way. Bob is over at their driveway blowing their snow right now. They were going to leave today, but wisely left on Friday instead. They sure picked the right time to leave.

I didn’t watch “My Fair Lady” this afternoon that I had taped. Instead I spent the whole afternoon watching “Gone with the Wind”. I told you the yesterday how much I like to study and read about the civil war, so you won’t be surprised to know how much I love the movie “Gone With the Wind”, which is about the “old south” before, during and after the civil war, and about a head strong southern girl named Scarlett. The movie came out before I was born. It is almost 70 years old, and yet it is a classic that we can still enjoy, after all these years. I read the book when I was in high school. I didn’t see the movie until after I was married, when it was re-released in the early 70’s. Since then, it has been on TV many times, I’ve watched it many times, and I also own the video and the DVD.

This evening the Academy Award show is on. This past month Turner Classic Network has had “31 days of Oscar”, showing many award winning movies. Last weekend we watched “Ben Hur”, another favorite movie of mine. That came out when I was in high school and we got extra credit in English class if we went to see the movie. Since my parents didn’t take us to movies, one of my friends begged her parents to take me along with their family to see it, so that I could get the extra credit. I loved that movie so much, and was so impressed with the story, that I came home that night and sat up late with my Mother telling her all about the story. I think I relived it all when I told her about it. It’s another one that Bob and I watch every time it’s on TV. Ben Hur and Spartacus, are shown around Easter time and we always watch them.

The American Film Institute made a list of the best 100 films made, and Gone with the Wind is # 4, Casablanca is # 3 (and that is playing on the station right now) and I don’t remember what # 2 was, but # one is “Citizen Kane”. Now, I have to say, I’m not really in love with “Citizen Kane”, and still don’t understand how it made the # 1 spot, but I guess it was a well made film. 1939 was a big year, where many top films were made. I don’t believe there are films made today that equal the films that have been made in the past like Ben Hur, 10 Commandments, and Gone With the Wind. And the music that went with those films! Do you remember how most classic films had “Overture” and “Exit” music?!! The song from Casablanca is playing right now "As Time Goes By". Bob has cable TV for the sports stations, I have it for the TMC Station!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>