Saturday, December 02, 2006

Holidays . . . Nativity Sets


Nativity Sets
One of my friends who blogs, wrote a post the other day saying that she was in denial that Christmas was coming, but that it was alright because it was still November, but when Dec. 1st came she would have to “get real”. I agree with her. I’m in denial. Although, I do not do anything for Christmas, except my Christmas letter and correspondence to my out of state relatives and friends, until after Thanksgiving is over. Usually before Thanksgiving I am almost done with my Christmas letter and have a good start on the addressing, etc.

Here it is the first weekend of December and for some reason, this year, I'm having trouble getting into the Christmas Spirity. I just now started thinking of my Christmas letters and cards. I was hoping the Lori Line Holiday concert last Friday would put me in the mood, I even have been listening to her Christmas CD’s this week, but I can’t get myself to sit down and write my letter.

I did make an effort this morning to put away all my fall and autumn decorations in the house and I got out two of my three nativity sets. That was hard, because I love fall and fall decorations, and bought some new fall decorations this year, and thought the house looked real fall and autum like. I was more excited about decorating for Christmas when the kids were little.

Then I listened to two authors tell about their books they’ve written on Book TV, and that’s as far as I got in getting ready for Christmas. Well, wait a minute, I did do online shopping last evening and ordered 4 Christmas presents! What a great way to shop. I was looking for something for the grown sons to order on line, but no luck! What do you buy for grown children? I did decide on a gift for the daughter and son in law, (with help of her suggestion!) and I ordered that on line. But, I’m afraid I am still going to go out to the stores at least once shopping. Christmas shopping was oh, so so much easier when the kids were little. It was also more fun. Christmas shopping hasn’t been fun for me since. If I could just buy gifts and not worry whether the person will like the gift, but, no…I can’t do that, I worry about buying the “right” thing. It’s so hard.

Now, about the nativity sets. Do you wonder why I have three, yes, count them, three nativity sets? When my kids were young, I didn’t own one. I wanted one so much, but could never afford to buy one. One year I had a “Christmas Around the World” party
(where people come and buy things from the demonstrator…remember that company?)
just so I could get one free. I did get it, and it lasted me all through the kids growing up, then one year baby Jesus figurine got broken, and the stable was starting to look pretty shabby. I couldn’t put it up without Baby Jesus. That year, after Christmas I found a beautiful white and gold set at JC Penney’s on sale for half price. So, then I had a set for the following year.

One year soon after Dawn was married, I bought them a beautiful set at Sam’s Club and gave it to her right before Christmas. I felt she should have one. I guess she didn’t like the one I chose. I never saw her use it. About 2 years later, when I mentioned that she wasn’t using it, she told me the “pieces” were too big, and didn’t fit anywhere just right. Did I want the set back? Sure, I liked the set….so I took it back. It sits on top of our antique cedar chest in the dining room, and fits just perfectly! The smaller white and gold one sets on our mantle some years, and some years, on the table beneath our mirror in the living room. So…that’s two sets.

In September I was graced with another nativity set, a gift for my birthday from our youngest son and his girlfriend. I will say it also is beautiful, and completely different from the other two. I love it, and the thought at my birthday was very nice. I have set theirs on our fireplace mantle, it looks very nice. I was so tempted, but of course, didn’t say “haven’t been to our house at Christmas to know that I already own two sets?..” ha ha…no…I kept mum…I told them it was beautiful and that I loved it (which I do). The gold and white set, I left in the box in the basement today. I’ll retire that one for now. Maybe Dawn would like that one?

So, at one time I didn’t own a nativity set and now in 2006 I own three. Maybe I can say I collect Nativity sets.

Maybe tomorrow I start my Christmas letter/cards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>